What in the world is this??

Ragna

Songster
May 15, 2018
Orlando
Im not sure what kind of mite... Tick... I just know it's not supposed to be on my baby
20180621_065403.jpg

I agree looks like poultry lice.

I prefer permethrin spray...
TE006407
won't cause respiratory issues like dust.. Just a small spritz below the vent, under each pit, and to the nape of the neck... all with feathers parted so it hits the skin. Repeat in the correct amount of days according to the label in order to break the life cycle completely and avoid any resistance. I paid $8 at the local feed store in the equine section for this product and lasted me 2+ years with 82+ birds, 3 dogs, and 2 goats. Works on other things like red mites, northern fowl mites, mosquitoes, fleas, lice, and such. Is safe, effective, affordable, easy to use, labeled for use in chickens and requires no withdrawal time for eggs. It comes under other brand names like Martin's and in concentrate forms. Can also be used on walls and roosts if needed... but lice live and lay there eggs on the host. Not sure about cat safety though since I don't have them.

Nice job catching them little creeps! :sick

Please don't waste your time, energy, money or chickens health trying to use DE... it is OFTEN ineffective! :old

Agree; they're lice. I use a pyrethrum (essentially permethrin in its natural form) spray intended as a dog flea spray. Works wonders. Just repeat after the eggs have hatched to ensure you get all the nasties.

Permethrin & Pyrethrum are dangerous to fish, cats, and bugs (bees etc) though, so be careful with them, and wear a mask while spraying the birds. As it's lice rather than mites, no need to do the coop; lice can't survive off their host for very long.

I agree looks like poultry lice.

I prefer permethrin spray...
TE006407
won't cause respiratory issues like dust.. Just a small spritz below the vent, under each pit, and to the nape of the neck... all with feathers parted so it hits the skin. Repeat in the correct amount of days according to the label in order to break the life cycle completely and avoid any resistance. I paid $8 at the local feed store in the equine section for this product and lasted me 2+ years with 82+ birds, 3 dogs, and 2 goats. Works on other things like red mites, northern fowl mites, mosquitoes, fleas, lice, and such. Is safe, effective, affordable, easy to use, labeled for use in chickens and requires no withdrawal time for eggs. It comes under other brand names like Martin's and in concentrate forms. Can also be used on walls and roosts if needed... but lice live and lay there eggs on the host. Not sure about cat safety though since I don't have them.

Nice job catching them little creeps! :sick

Please don't waste your time, energy, money or chickens health trying to use DE... it is OFTEN ineffective! :old
I only noticed them because I hug her everyday and morning and they started to crawl on me lol... Don't judge my methods... It worked didn't it :)

Back
Top Bottom