What Is A Good Bantam Chicken Breed to Show?

TheBantyShanty

Songster
Jan 17, 2019
Hello, I am looking into buying a bantam breed that is good for showing. I do showing in 4-H and I currently have Sebrights. However, even though I love Sebrights, I want to get a different chicken breed to show. Does anyone recommend a certain bantam breed that you had some good experiences with, whether it is showing or is just a docile breed that you would recommend. A few breeds that I am looking into are OEG, d'Uccle, Dutch or Rosecomb.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any input! :wee

Hello, I am looking into buying a bantam breed that is good for showing. I do showing in 4-H and I currently have Sebrights. However, even though I love Sebrights, I want to get a different chicken breed to show. Does anyone recommend a certain bantam breed that you had some good experiences with, whether it is showing or is just a docile breed that you would recommend. A few breeds that I am looking into are OEG, d'Uccle, Dutch or Rosecomb.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for any input! :wee
Seramas are very docile and friendly. I have crossed them with frizzles and they are adorable chicks :)

Seramas are very docile and friendly. I have crossed them with frizzles and they are adorable chicks :)

We actually have had Seramas, but ended up selling them because the rooster was very loud ( Crow- offs ;)) and the hen was always pecking my other hen. I do like that breed but I may get a different breed.
We actually hatched a Serama/Sebright mix and they do indeed have very adorable chicks! :love

Silkies and seramas are my favorites for that. The only thing about silkies is that you have to put in extra work to keep the legs/feet, Crest, and beard (if bearded) clean.
Another good breed to try might be Old English Game Bantams

I have considered Silkies but I think I want a bird that is a bit smaller and is easier to care for. I have thought about getting silkies, just because they are a very cool looking bird! :D

Yes, OEG are a favorite of mine, especially the roosters! It is definitely one of the ones at the top of my list! :yesss:

Blacktailed White Japanese, great layers, excellent brooders/mothers. Very docile. I bred/raised and showed them for many years. Cons to raising: Hard to find or raise show quality birds,...takes alot of time and patience to breed/raise show quality birds.

I have seen pictures of this breed and they are gorgeous! :love If I could find some of these this would definitely be a breed that I would want to get! Yes, that has been a problem for me, I don't see too many show quality breeds around :hmm , and I have not really seen any in my area at all.

Okay, so I suggest you backtrack and check out what other people are showing. As a beginner you don't want to enter the chicken equivalent of Golden Retriever s. Also with your list of desired breeds you need to find where you can get the highest quality birds to show. Maybe this will lead to a mentorship.

You might see if there is a breed club or group for the chickens you are interested in and you might join that. Any kind of showing can get nasty so remember to be nice to everyone, don't gossip and don't listen to gossip because it can bite you in the rear.

That said a friend of mine has a sweet, gentle OEGB and two adorable D'Uccles. She got all of them as adults and they are friendly. I think they are all beautiful! I'm getting d'Uccle chicks in June including my only rooster. OEGB appeal to me too.

Im envious. If I were younger I would want to do this too! Best if luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom