What is a good breed of dog?

ive got two catahoulas that love to hang out with the chickens, chasing possums and even random birds that land to steal chicken feed!!!

My Maremma Sheepdog (LGD) is fantastic with all of my animals (except when the turkeys tease him - then he'll pull their tail feathers). Diesel foiled a hawk attack and has chased off many fox. He is also very quick to let me know when something is wrong or out of the ordinary ("Mom, the goats are out again"). LGD's tend to "patrol" so you want to be sure you have plenty of property for them to patrol otherwise they will patrol your neighbors' yards. Diesel is so protective that I have to watch very carefully when I let my other dogs out as he will protect "his flock (goats, poultry, etc)" from my other dogs.

That being said... My male Dane is fantastic with all of the animals but will round up goats on command. My female Dane leaves the birds alone but will chase goats that are loose and rabbits that have escaped their pens. My Cairn Terrier will round up goats on command, leaves the birds alone, but will chase loose rabbits. My Mini Doxie is still a pup so is still learning. He has a very high prey drive for the small animals (rabbits and guinea pigs) but leaves the birds alone. In fact, he "adopts" any baby animals we have - goats, chicks, ducklings - and will keep the other dogs away from them. Of this bunch, I think any of them would go after a fox and I'm pretty sure they would protect the critters from wandering dogs.

I would take great care in the breed of dog you choose. As you can see, I have a bit of a mixed pack with each breed of dog being bred for different purposes. I did have a heeler mix and she was the one dog I could absolutely not trust around any of the animals. Heelers have a high prey drive. Research the breeds of dogs you are looking at and see what they were bred to do. This will give you some insight on how they will mesh with your family and critters. It will also help you focus your training.

I definitely agree that it is paramount for your dog to see you as the pack leader. Your dog should be submissive to you and look to you for guidance.

One of these.
sadiechick001.jpg
smile.png

Quote:
YES!
To have a great relationship with your dog you WANT this, when you have chickens you NEED this.

Adding my 2 cents. I know people that have huskies and have had a heck of a time trying to train them to ignore their natural prey drive. They are great with basic obedience like sitting and such, but trying to call it off the chase of a small animal is a battle. I know not all are like that, but I believe that is the exception and not the rule.

Now, to the two breeds I have had around chickens, rabbits and horses. A Pembroke Welsh Corgi and German Sheperd. The corgi loved to herd when it was younger and had a hard time sitting still and staying put while I was interacting with the other animals. It took about a year before she would just chill and not lend her herding skills unless asked to do so. The problem with Corgi's is they are too darn smart. Trying to stay one step ahead of her was tough, and they are mischievous. Which can be entertaining.....and annoying. They are great.....but require a strong owner who is going to take the time to train them and give them constant mental stimulation to keep them out of trouble.

Next, GSD. Since I got my first one two years ago I have decided that I will never be without one. By far the best match for my little urban farm. They are crazy smart, loyal and athletic.....but they are willing to defer to your better judgment and ignore their own instincts when asked to do so. This is one of the few breeds that have that capability. All I needed to do was claim the chickens as mine and correct her once when she started to chase one and she backed off them. Now she will follow a few of her favorites around trying to get them to play with her. She will lick them and let them walk all over her when she is lying down. Same thing with my rabbits. I know that she still wants to have a taste, but she respects my authority and overcomes her urges to make better decisions. That is what I love about them. She was rescued from the pound at the age of one as well, so it is not even necessary to start from a puppy (though I would, who doesn't love a puppy!). GSD still need allot of mental stimulation and exercise, but an active person willing to spend a few minutes a day on new training will easily meet their needs.

Good luck!

I agree the husky probably isnt the best choice. All dogs are different but in general they are a breed that was bred to think for themselves to survive as a sled dog. They arent always so keen at doing what they are told and have minds of their own...again this is in general for the breed as Im sure there are a few minor exceptions
wink.png

I know many of you have great dogs but IMHO I would NOT ever leave chickens with dogs that are not restrained/muzzeled or able to get to the chickens. I have 2 Malamutes that are darling dogs BUT give them a split second and bye bye chick-chick. You never know when a dog might decide that your chickens would make a great meal. It's just not a risk I am willing to take. MAYBE a dog brought up with chickens won't attack them but dogs are hunters, they are carnivores...

Thanks again, all! After further reading posts I am shying away from the Husky. A friend told me about a little known shelter in Denver but if I walked in there is no way I could leave empty handed. The picture of the retriever, Sundown, says it all. Still looking into GSD's, as I have been all day. I also called animal control, as the neighbors butt-ugly mutt was sniffing around the barn again today. They are faxing me a form to fill out and they will go talk to him, as he won't return my calls. They say it's that or just shoot it, and I'm not going to shoot an animal. When I end up with a pooch, I'll post a pic.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom