Pics
So those two light gray feathered ones on the far left and right w/ red combs are definitely roo huh? Then I have a roo or 2. Mine are still over 2wks old, what will I do with them ha ha. I think I also have a few roo from my 1 wk old Black Copper Marans hatched.
Thinking my basement freezer will get full, we haven’t even consumed the last roo I butchered 6 months ago.
View attachment 1333272
Yeah...I'm certain. Doubted for a bit as per Moonshiner's explanation of blue/barred genetics but then remembered they did display barring as chicks as per his/her example of a barred lavender chick at that age. So it's been a waiting game but I now see darker, barred feathers coming in where we'd expect to so I'm no longer questioning. I plan to take updated pics in another week or so when they're more evident so that those of you following this (because perhaps your birds are also intent on dodging the rules), know what to look for :D

I am considering adding this bird. Developed in the CZECH republic it would certainly be cold hardy. I
LIKE the size of the bird and the fact that this blue bird would lay brown eggs and my brown Ameraucana's would lay blue eggs. - Might be a good OE cross in the future. I also have a dark cuckoo pattern EE rooster.
Add it, but don't use it to create Olive Eggers. The eggs are pinkish brown. You need dark brown eggshell to create good olive eggers.

You need dark brown eggshell to create good olive eggers.
Good point! My only bird for that purpose would be my Cuccoo Maran - the Speckled Sussex do not measure up either - they lay light brown eggs. My comment being that in hindsight I would have preferred this smaller sized bird than the Sussex. Better layers and probably not broody as the Sussex.

Issue being that the OE I have, are not turning out to be as friendly as the Ameraucana and EE - they having Maran blood will also be bigger. I doubt I want more of them.
The Saphire Gem would fit into the size of the birds I want in my flock. NO idea abut their temperament.
Side note, the Speckled Sussex seem to be the most nervous of the chicks I have raised and have been a bother in the rooting they do in the brooder. Had to amend the interior decorating just to keep the water and feeder unclogged by wood shavings.

Last edited:
So am i correct in thinking this a pullet? Shes 15 weeks old.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Just picked up my three baby chicks and with my silver blue Americauna they are hard to differentiate. With two Easter Egger roosters I believe this is the direction I wish to go.
Very, very different personalities between the more aggressive O Eggers and the more friendly and laid back Americauna and EE.
No idea how these gals will turn out, but even now they seem more friendly than the VERY skittish and much larger breed Speckled Sussex.
They, the OE and the Cuckoo Maran will be the larger birds and I will try to whittle that percentage down.

Interestingly, the two E Egger roosters look very different, but are gentlemen already and hang around without getting into fights. The first may have some Welsummer blood and is a BEAUTIFULLY colored bird. The second is dark and has a cuckoo/barred white chest on a rather dark body. Was there some Wyandotte background? Perhaps.

All the blues are girls. Boys are blue barred. There are some fb groups about dominant poultry in Philipines. They can show you photos and answer your questions!

The main reason I love dominant c z is that they have three pure lines of the leghorn, which is my favorite breed. They have rhode island red too, utility strains of the heritage breed.

Back
Top Bottom