Pics
Does anyone have current pictures of their roo?
Because he was white-dot-less and darker, I'm not 100% sure he is SG.
It's been a fun, yet confusing few months, for sure!!
He reminds me more of an Andalusian but only because of coloration. I think you just lucked out with a really striking roo. Mine are lighter and have mostly yellow legs. The dark wash on legs is hardly there. ..though still there. Will try to get photos when I'm home

I don't know if Hoover's sells them, but that looks like it could be a Blue Copper Marans.
Also :frow I'm also from Western, KY!
We just moved back last august. We're about a 3 minute drive to the Tennessee border.
Your right though I had to look it up, but she does resemble the blue copper maran. As far as I know hoovers hatchery only sells the black color copper marans.

@PachecoPeeps I have one that has a couple darker feathers on her back. My daughter named her Luna.

I also have one that had a solid black beak and comb, just now starting to see a tiny bit of lighter color showing up in the comb.

This ones name was Yellow Beak aka Lucy. Unfortunately she somehow injured her right leg at 6 weeks old (assuming jumping off the roost). She loved getting up in high places. Sadly We ended up culling this past week because I could tell she was in pain. We tried a splint, and a sling, vitamins etc. but I think the injury was further up in the thigh area. She was our only pure yellow beak. Someone suggested Mareks, but her symptoms didn't scream it mareks and all the others have had no symptoms. I also had them vaccinated for mareks from the hatchery.

20180607_200948.jpg

This is the link to the injury thread. Hopefully it was just a fluke and not something that ends up being common in this breed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/7-week-old-saphire-gem-not-walking-well-weak-leg.1253106/

This ones name was Yellow Beak aka Lucy. Unfortunately she somehow injured her right leg at 6 weeks old (assuming jumping off the roost). She loved getting up in high places. Sadly We ended up culling this past week because I could tell she was in pain. We tried a splint, and a sling, vitamins etc. but I think the injury was further up in the thigh area. She was our only pure yellow beak. Someone suggested Mareks, but her symptoms didn't scream it mareks and all the others have had no symptoms. I also had them vaccinated for mareks from the hatchery.

View attachment 1466867
This is the link to the injury thread. Hopefully it was just a fluke and not something that ends up being common in this breed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/7-week-old-saphire-gem-not-walking-well-weak-leg.1253106/
I’m so sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking.

We just moved back last august. We're about a 3 minute drive to the Tennessee border.
Your right though I had to look it up, but she does resemble the blue copper maran. As far as I know hoovers hatchery only sells the black color copper marans.

@PachecoPeeps I have one that has a couple darker feathers on her back. My daughter named her Luna.

I also have one that had a solid black beak and comb, just now starting to see a tiny bit of lighter color showing up in the comb.
We have one who is very multicolored so we called her Mosiac. She is striking but is my only sapphire gem not laying :he

Attachments

• 4F01F377-8866-4DA9-A837-13D91CB8C0D2.jpeg
    4F01F377-8866-4DA9-A837-13D91CB8C0D2.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 70

Back
Top Bottom