Pics
Hello all! I am new to chickens, and I have 2 sapphires. They are both growing so much faster than my others (2 EEs, 2 Golden comets). Has anyone figured out how the sexing works yet? I have one that is darker than the other. They are supposed to all be pullets. I’m thinking that the one I’ve named Clara may end up being a Clarence. I noticed today that there is some yellowish coloration on her chest that wasn’t there originally. I have attached a picture as well. I know it is way too soon to tell, but I’m hoping somebody experienced may be able to give me an idea of what else to look for.

Clara/Clarence is the one on the feeder to the right. The other SG is on the left with the white on her wings.

Attachments

• CD889155-400F-4164-B108-AB8BA614D2F0.jpeg
    CD889155-400F-4164-B108-AB8BA614D2F0.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 67
Hello all! I am new to chickens, and I have 2 sapphires. They are both growing so much faster than my others (2 EEs, 2 Golden comets). Has anyone figured out how the sexing works yet? I have one that is darker than the other. They are supposed to all be pullets. I’m thinking that the one I’ve named Clara may end up being a Clarence. I noticed today that there is some yellowish coloration on her chest that wasn’t there originally. I have attached a picture as well. I know it is way too soon to tell, but I’m hoping somebody experienced may be able to give me an idea of what else to look for.

Clara/Clarence is the one on the feeder to the right. The other SG is on the left with the white on her wings.
Males are barred and females are not. Males should have a yellow spot on the top of their heads but it can be hard to see. We order all pullets and for weeks I thought I had a few boys but they were in fact all girls. According to your pic it looks like you should have all girls.

For those that know your eggs are coming from an SG...are you getting double yolk eggs from them? I have gotten 4 double yolk eggs so far, and I think 3 of them have been from one of my SGs. The 4th was a white egg, and we know which one it came from, as only one of our girls lays white eggs. So we were kinda wondering if it was normal for this breed or just a fluke thing?
It’s normal for newly laying pullets to lay double yolks but I have noticed an increased number in my Gems too. My boyfriend even mentioned it the other day when he was cracking eggs.

It’s normal for newly laying pullets to lay double yolks but I have noticed an increased number in my Gems too. My boyfriend even mentioned it the other day when he was cracking eggs.
Yes it’s normal. I’ve had many chickens that lay double yolkers when they first start but eventually they are all single.

I love the dark wings!!

For those that know your eggs are coming from an SG...are you getting double yolk eggs from them? I have gotten 4 double yolk eggs so far, and I think 3 of them have been from one of my SGs. The 4th was a white egg, and we know which one it came from, as only one of our girls lays white eggs. So we were kinda wondering if it was normal for this breed or just a fluke thing?

Normal for newbie layers, all four of my EEs had humongous eggs with double yolks for a month or so then normalized. Now my SGs I haven’t noticed double yolks yet but some will during the first few months.

You can always try the gold ring on a string test ;) I hear it's quite accurate. I tried it last year and was dismayed to find we had more roos than pullets...figured it was ridiculous and hardly a true test...but alas, it was right. Tried it with my current hatch and it seems to coincide with the ones I'd guess to be pullets by wing carriage, the way they stand, act, and the apparent (or not yet showing) tail feathers. So give it a try. If nothing else, it's a fun little test to distract you until you can tell for sure :D

Not sure...they look a little bit different than mine did....can't put my finger on it...but camera phones don't make it easy! They're definitely similar but there are other blue breeds. My friend got blue Australorps and they look very much like my chicks...so someone more familiar with all breeds will need to weigh in. Where did you get them?
How does the gold ring on a string work? Do you put it above them and see which direction it swings? I have two SGs that are 3 weeks old, and I have that is growing MUCH faster than the other. The comb is also HUGE compared to the rest! I’m curious to try the test for fun!

Attachments

• D5146CB3-E298-4AFD-8FD3-1F39972E85B5.jpeg
    D5146CB3-E298-4AFD-8FD3-1F39972E85B5.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 46
  • FADAAC65-975F-413F-BE5D-5722D6E7174C.jpeg
    FADAAC65-975F-413F-BE5D-5722D6E7174C.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 49
How does the gold ring on a string work? Do you put it above them and see which direction it swings? I have two SGs that are 3 weeks old, and I have that is growing MUCH faster than the other. The comb is also HUGE compared to the rest! I’m curious to try the test for fun!
I wouldn’t worry too much unless the color changes. Some of mine grew big combs early but they stayed pale. I don’t see a dot on either of those chicks heads so they should be girls.

Back
Top Bottom