Pics
Seeing this made me second guess the large egg I got! I was assuming it was from my Orpington.. maybe not. Sorry don’t have a scale to measure
D1D425A5-F284-48B8-818E-853B9F43CCE8.jpeg

Well, we're back up to 7 eggs a day. Had to turn lights on due to schedules...can't get out to feed them in the evening while it's still light. One SG is laying huge eggs...weighed one and it was 88 grams (3.10oz) and yes, scale was tared. Seems all her eghs are around 80 g. Guess lighting was the issue. Don't love that they're laying more due to lights but at least they're not laying every day. Seems like every other day so I guess that gives them a little break. Trying to rework schedule to get out there sooner . Still, wondering what the average SG egg weighs. My others seem to be around 70 g to 79 g based on one day of weighing. ..presuming that larger eggs were SGs' and smaller eggs from our EE and other fluff-mutts...some of which are smaller birds/crossesView attachment 1604330 View attachment 1604331
On a side note... is that a diy xmas light globe for the coop?!?

I had a pair of hens a few years ago who looked like that. They were hens I picked up at the flea market so I knew nothing about their history or age. All I knew is that they were blue (my favorite color) and I had to have them. Here's a couple photos of them. Ever since then I've wanted to create my own like them...

Hi AshleySGM,

Those were some sharp looking hens.

I think a RIR rooster over a splash or blue hen would produce pullets colored like those in your photos.

The RIR has the columbian gene and the mahogany gene, which would provide red head and neck.

I got this off Valley Farms hatchery page.
The Blue Sapphire (Sapphire Gem, Blue Plymouth Rock, etc.) is the cross of a Blue Plymouth Rock Male and a Barred Plymouth Rock Female. These chicks are color sexed at hatch. Males are blue with a white dot on their head and females are blue with no dot on their head. Unlike most "blue" chickens, the Blue Sapphire throws 100% blue offspring. The downfall to the Blue Sapphire is when reproduced, they do not breed true to the color sexing gene.

Hens can be expected to produce in excess of 300 large brown eggs per year and typically begin to lay at 18-20 weeks old. In fact half of your flock should be laying at 23 weeks of age! A number of factors can effect the laying age. We recommend feeding them 18% chick feed until you receive your first egg. When you receive your first egg, switch them to a high protein layer pellet, then set back and enjoy your own fresh eggs from a truly beautiful blue chicken!

In general these are sweet birds and have a quiet temperament. Like any chicken, the way you care for them will determine their temperament.

The Blue Sapphire, in conclusion, is a very dependable and easy to raise bird.

On a side note... is that a diy xmas light globe for the coop?!?
LOL No, we have a regular bulb in the coop. That's on my kitchen counter....I used to ferment chicken food in there. ...then it became a terrarium for an ivy plant that was doing great until we placed a Google receiver on the counter and then the plant died (one of the reasons I've become so smitten with the energy of all things and how they affect one another.) In any case, I had the empty jar and a string of Christmas lights and decided a little counter top ambience on the cheap would be nice. I'd like to get some birch pieces to add in there but those aren't cheap....nor are they prevalent in this area. So for now, that's all I've got :D As for your Gemma....nice Day 2 egg!

I got this off Valley Farms hatchery page.
The Blue Sapphire (Sapphire Gem, Blue Plymouth Rock, etc.) is the cross of a Blue Plymouth Rock Male and a Barred Plymouth Rock Female. These chicks are color sexed at hatch. Males are blue with a white dot on their head and females are blue with no dot on their head. Unlike most "blue" chickens, the Blue Sapphire throws 100% blue offspring. The downfall to the Blue Sapphire is when reproduced, they do not breed true to the color sexing gene.

Hens can be expected to produce in excess of 300 large brown eggs per year and typically begin to lay at 18-20 weeks old. In fact half of your flock should be laying at 23 weeks of age! A number of factors can effect the laying age. We recommend feeding them 18% chick feed until you receive your first egg. When you receive your first egg, switch them to a high protein layer pellet, then set back and enjoy your own fresh eggs from a truly beautiful blue chicken!

In general these are sweet birds and have a quiet temperament. Like any chicken, the way you care for them will determine their temperament.

The Blue Sapphire, in conclusion, is a very dependable and easy to raise bird.
The paternal stock is SPLASH plymouth rock...
Search for dominant blue D 107.

Back
Top Bottom