What is best way to remove rooster feathers that I will be giving to a beauty salon when I am killin

Ronda'sFarm

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Louisiana
Has anyone found the best way to remove rooster feathers that will be used for hair extensions, when I am killing the roosters for the freezer?
When putting meat in the freezer we usually (after they are dead) dunk birds in hot water & pull feathers...but I am thinking this is too messy to do if I want to keep the long feathers that my beautician wants. Or would I do this, then let them dry?

I was thinking of skinning the rooster but wasn't sure how hard feathers are to take off....

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks, Ronda

I have 11 roosters going in the freezer tomorrow.
smile.png

I used to skin ducks when i duck hunted a lot and I would start by separating the feathers on the breast and cut the skin along the breast bone up to the crop and down to the vent and then use my fingers to work the skin loose around the bird. I always cut the leg and wing tips off with a pruning shear first. this would leave me with a pretty much full duck skin with feathers. You could do that and then scrape off any fat on the skins and rub the skin with borax (found in with laundry soaps at the market) and then take them to the beauty shop.

jerry

I used to skin ducks when i duck hunted a lot and I would start by separating the feathers on the breast and cut the skin along the breast bone up to the crop and down to the vent and then use my fingers to work the skin loose around the bird. I always cut the leg and wing tips off with a pruning shear first. this would leave me with a pretty much full duck skin with feathers. You could do that and then scrape off any fat on the skins and rub the skin with borax (found in with laundry soaps at the market) and then take them to the beauty shop.

jerry

This is really the easiest way. You can use either Borax or just plain salt (non iodized). I nail them feather side down to a board stretched out. best is to skin them from the back of the comb down the neck, and save the saddle area too. It doesn't take long for it to dry, then you'll have a nice flat skin and the feathers won't be all blowing around. They can be picked off as one wishes. This is the way it's done for fly tying.

Pull feathers immediately after stopping brain function. I would avoid use of hot water on feathers to be isolated since it may disrupt oils protecting them. I also pull feathers singly from base making certain to realize a firm straight pull that does not cause kinks in shaft.

I normally just pelt them out. Since you want just the long saddle/hackle feathers you wont have to worry about doing the wings/tail.

How do you pelt them out? Does this mean leaving the feathers on the skin and then doing something to the skin? Please explain because this is new to me. Thanks!

Dry-pluck the feathers as soon as he's dead. Have a bag set up beforehand so you can do this quickly before the carcass stiffens up and the feathers are hard to remove. Keep them dry and clean.

Once you've got the desired feathers you can scald the carcass like you normally would.

Pull them out one by one rather than in groups.

Hope your salon has a cheap source of the beads and findings to use them LOL.

And, make sure that Mr. Roo is a meat bird indeed and that the feathers are just a side product.

Dry-pluck the feathers as soon as he's dead. Have a bag set up beforehand so you can do this quickly before the carcass stiffens up and the feathers are hard to remove. Keep them dry and clean.

Once you've got the desired feathers you can scald the carcass like you normally would.

Pull them out one by one rather than in groups.

Hope your salon has a cheap source of the beads and findings to use them LOL.

And, make sure that Mr. Roo is a meat bird indeed and that the feathers are just a side product.

Op is using the birds for meat and feathers. Not just feathers. Two for one processing!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom