What is DE?

Ragladysews

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
NW Georgia
I keep seeing the term "DE" used in worming and I believe it was spread around a coop oe maybe put in their food? I could be wrong about that. But what does it mean and how is it used?

diatomaceous earth. Ancient miniature sea shells. They are sharp enough to critically wound very small parasites without harming the chickens... but it will harm your very small air sacs in your lungs so try not to inhale.

Quote:
X2
Buy only "food grade" - and I get it at both the local Farmers Coop and at Tractor Supply.

If I get it at the local farmers co-op is it automatically food grade? It doesn't say either way on it.
hmm.png

It says on the bag if it is. They also use it for swimming pool filters and other industrial purposes, sometimes it is bleached white.
Ours says on the bag rather predominantly that it is food grade.
No, it says, 'for live stock" look for something in that area of verbiage.

I'd ask the people you're buying it from
wink.png

My hens absolutely love taking dust baths in that stuff. They really get into it, legs flopping everywhere, feathers all undone, rolling around like a cat on a carpet. Its a healthy bath for them and good fun.

I've seen Food-Grade DE in Health Food stores too if you can't find it at your local feed store. A scoop or two mixed in pine shavings litter in the coop gives them a nice indoor dust bath during the muddy months. You can also dust your birds with it to keep mites and lice at bay (use Sevin if you have an infestation though).

Hi everyone, I live in a very rural area with absolutely no access to DE. Does anyone know of another homemade/makeshift alternative? Thanks!

Diatamaceous Earth will not work very well, if at all, as a dewormer. Diatamaceous Earth is useless when wet, as it would be when a chicken ingests it (the sharp pieces would be come damp and soft). It may work for external parasites, but not with internal ones. Giving the DE to your chickens won't harm them, but keep in mind that it probably won't prevent worms. You'd be better off getting some Valbazen or Safeguard dewormers. Both of these dewormers will kill most worms that a chicken has, and shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Back
Top Bottom