What is going on? Graphic

Alexacfreeman

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
A few days ago I posted a picture of my chicks eyes. Their eyes are doing a little better and no chicks have shown any more signs of getting worse except the one who’s eye I noticed first. He had 2 bumps on his back I was cleaning them and the top of it came off. I noticed white stuff so I figured I should get some of it out so I did. What is this? I took pictures before and after. He did have poop dried on his back for a few days before I noticed it so I’m not sure if that could cause it? Whatever it is I still have a couple chicks in my flock not showing symptoms. Also included a picture of the one with the bumps poop because he had explosive diarrhea when I was cleaning the bumps.

Attachments

• E0366363-E402-4EDE-A72E-865100F2F0C8.jpeg
    E0366363-E402-4EDE-A72E-865100F2F0C8.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 0FA565B7-E50F-461C-9476-C9C0D65382FD.jpeg
    0FA565B7-E50F-461C-9476-C9C0D65382FD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • EFAA9780-9ABA-48ED-B9C9-57FFF555B4C6.jpeg
    EFAA9780-9ABA-48ED-B9C9-57FFF555B4C6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 4F2DF08E-1270-445D-8157-2C9D58584ACD.jpeg
    4F2DF08E-1270-445D-8157-2C9D58584ACD.jpeg
    584.8 KB · Views: 26
I would write the diarrhea off to nerves from being held and worked on by you unless he has kept having it. As far as the two lumps on him go. I am no expert on those but they look like epidermoid cyst to me. My dog has had a few of them pop up and we had to have them surgically removed because one was on her leg and the other on her neck where her collar is worn. With your rooster these would probably be okay left alone as is unless they cause him some problems.

I would write the diarrhea off to nerves from being held and worked on by you unless he has kept having it. As far as the two lumps on him go. I am no expert on those but they look like epidermoid cyst to me. My dog has had a few of them pop up and we had to have them surgically removed because one was on her leg and the other on her neck where her collar is worn. With your rooster these would probably be okay left alone as is unless they cause him some problems.
Ok so even with the eye issue it shouldn’t be anything to worry about?

Attachments

• E664DAD1-4C3F-4289-9252-794F9200ABFB.jpeg
    E664DAD1-4C3F-4289-9252-794F9200ABFB.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 25
Well when I was looking at your pictures before and reading your post I guess since it’s the middle of the night and I’m not awake enough I didn’t catch the facts about their eyes well enough. I am not sure what to tell you about that. Do you know how he is getting poop on his back? How is that happening ? That might shed some light on the eye problem. If he is getting bullied so bad that he is getting feces on his back then he maybe getting it in his eyes too which could be very dangerous. Is he separate from any older birds in your flock?

Well when I was looking at your pictures before and reading your post I guess since it’s the middle of the night and I’m not awake enough I didn’t catch the facts about their eyes well enough. I am not sure what to tell you about that. Do you know how he is getting poop on his back? How is that happening ? That might shed some light on the eye problem. If he is getting bullied so bad that he is getting feces on his back then he maybe getting it in his eyes too which could be very dangerous. Is he separate from any older birds in your flock?
Yes he has been with same birds since 2 days old. I’m not sure how the poop got on his back honestly. I just now isolated him with the other bird that’s showing symptoms.

Hi alex, I tried to find your post mentioning the eye problem but couldn't find much so it sounds like 2 have shut eyes? I did see you mentioned a week ago a chick was born with a deformed foot. Has that gotten better?
How old is this chick exactly?
I've not raised many chicks yet and only recently started paying attention to studying more about keeping them healthy and there is still lots I don't know yet but in my limited experience I have been most amazed at the power of vitamins on young chicks.
I have seen people manage to save chicks hours away from death using vitamins and I have seen pictures of the deformities a chick born with deficiencies will display.
Vitamin A deficiency will cause skin lesions like yours is showing I believe but it can also be a chick with underlying health issues, either genetic or from a bad incubation.

I would try to get some vitamins in it. Vitamin A and B are important. You can try feeding some boiled egg yolk as that is high in vitamins. If it isn't eating you need to try to give it some chick vitamins dissolved in a syringe.

Hi alex, I tried to find your post mentioning the eye problem but couldn't find much so it sounds like 2 have shut eyes? I did see you mentioned a week ago a chick was born with a deformed foot. Has that gotten better?
How old is this chick exactly?
I've not raised many chicks yet and only recently started paying attention to studying more about keeping them healthy and there is still lots I don't know yet but in my limited experience I have been most amazed at the power of vitamins on young chicks.
I have seen people manage to save chicks hours away from death using vitamins and I have seen pictures of the deformities a chick born with deficiencies will display.
Vitamin A deficiency will cause skin lesions like yours is showing I believe but it can also be a chick with underlying health issues, either genetic or from a bad incubation.

I would try to get some vitamins in it. Vitamin A and B are important. You can try feeding some boiled egg yolk as that is high in vitamins. If it isn't eating you need to try to give it some chick vitamins dissolved in a syringe.
One with shut eye but sometimes it’s not shut now and sometimes just a damp washcloth touching it will allow him to open his eye. The foot deformity did fix itself.

I’ve been using teramyacin on the sores and eyes and it doesn’t seem to be working. Also his diarrhea is like white and watery. What is going on?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg