What is happening here?

jjunge08

Chirping
Nov 8, 2020
NW Ohio
This morning I went out to check on the coop and looked inside and just below the roosting bar I found this egg in the shavings below. Like it dropped out overnight. It appears to be just the membrane and no shell along with another much smaller start to an egg. Is this cause for concern? They are on a 17% hi-omega feed and free range for 2-3 hours every day after I get home from work. Sorry for the bad lighting on the pictures. Any help with an explanation for this would be great! Thanks.

Attachments

• 2203D4FB-AF00-4936-823E-8F062FD2D7B2.jpeg
    2203D4FB-AF00-4936-823E-8F062FD2D7B2.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 8
  • 4C25AB23-BC87-45A2-86D2-97ABF909B15C.jpeg
    4C25AB23-BC87-45A2-86D2-97ABF909B15C.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 4
Maybe they're not getting enough calcium? Shell-less eggs can be laid every once in a while but if it keeps happening they probably need more calcium. It can also be laid by younger birds that are still working out the kinks in their system. It sounds like your girls are fine, just a weird egg.

How old are your chickens?

Pullets starting to lay and hens going into or coming out of molt sometimes make some wonky eggs.

I wouldn't worry about an occasional softie -- only if it becomes a regular occurrence.
All hens are 6 1/2 month old Buff Orpingtons and have been laying for probably a month and a half now

This morning I went out to check on the coop and looked inside and just below the roosting bar I found this egg in the shavings below. Like it dropped out overnight. It appears to be just the membrane and no shell along with another much smaller start to an egg. Is this cause for concern? They are on a 17% hi-omega feed and free range for 2-3 hours every day after I get home from work. Sorry for the bad lighting on the pictures. Any help with an explanation for this would be great! Thanks.
Keep an eye on your birds and make sure its just a one time thing.

Back
Top Bottom