What is happening with chick deliveries?

When I contacted MM in September last year they told me that for the Wyandottes that I wanted I should order in January for an early February delivery because they were thinking that after that the availability would drop significantly. I kind of took their advice (sorta) I ended up ordering on Feb 1 for a Feb 23 delivery and got the 27 Wyandottes in the 5 varieties that I had wanted. Now hearing all of the hatchery shortages I'm glad I ordered so early even though I was apprehensive about shipping them in in a very cold month. I lost one in shipping and one the next day but that was it so I think it was worth the worry of shipping in the cold.

We are on of those first time buyers for chickens. We watch Glen Beck and know where the economy is going. We ordered our chicks mid feb. Our feed store had 200 chicks and they sold out the first day! I wanted everyone to know that I ordered from Meyers and all my chicks arrived within 13 hours of them shipping them out. All healthy and fluffy.
ya.gif

I'm with ging3rhoffman on this one. I picked my chicks up Mon and had to wait in line to get them. Meyer's is a great place to deal.
This year in Cleveland Oh. they passed a law that a person could keep poultry. Don't know the details but most live in neighborhoods. Not many rural areas.
I have purchased day olds many times from them and had to call and see what they had left and picked from their list. This way I can get day olds when I want them.

Maybe BYC is doing what it set out to do..put a chicken in every yard!
celebrate.gif

Even if the bigger, most common hatcheries are sold out, there are tons of hatcheries out there that I am sure are still taking orders. Help your local feed store and steer them in the right direction. That's what we're here for..keep educating. Let's help out the little guys and tell your feed stores and neighbors about them.
wink.png

I have put in 3 orders to split between myself and some local chicken buddies. We ordered in Jan and Feb. I got one set today, another set next week, and then the last set was available the week after Easter.

So, even with ordering early, we still had to wait 1-2 months. I think this is both a good and bad thing. Good because high demand = more they will pay, but bad because it eventually has to slow down.

Quote:
I DVR Glen Beck so I can watch it with my husband when he get home from work. I agree with everything he says and started raising chickens last spring because honestly the writing it on the wall. I want to get goats but am still working on that. I am planning to put in a second garden this year and hope that everyone with families does the same thing. It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Sorry for the doom and gloom but please don't think the government is going to be able to fix everything because they are going down the toilet.

Hey, maybe there's an economic opportunity here for those of you who already have established flocks (with roosters so your eggs are fertile) - sell your eggs as hatching eggs to your local feed stores, or hatch them yourselves & sell the chicks. I'm all for buying/selling amongst individuals here on BYC or elsewhere, but if I had excess chicks right now and my feed store needed some, well I'd be thinking about going into the chick business.

Back
Top Bottom