what is happening

I think she's clearing her airway. They are all eating frantically, like they are really, really hungry, she's probably getting food in her airway, and she's trying to clear it out. You might want to make sure they have food all the time, so they aren't quite so frantic when they get fed.
they get fed once a day at night 3 cups it seems like enough for my other hens but i can start feeding them in the morning too if you think that is necessary they do free range during the day

I free feed my birds, they self regulate very well. I have feeders out all day long. Do you just have the 3 of them? I would put a days worth out every morning, and leave it all day, until they go to roost. It may take some time for them to adjust, it may seem they are eating a lot, but once they get used to the idea that they can eat when needed, they should be calmer about it. Normally they eat periodically through out the day, they fill the crop, digest, and fill again. Unless they are ranging and have access to a wide variety of insects etc. They are likely really hungry. They usually hit the feeders as soon as they get up in the morning, again at various times during the day, and then they will fill their crops before going to roost. Birds have very fast metabolisms, so they need to feed more often.

I have 4 1 year old hens that are fine with the once-a-day feeding I have never had a problem with it also if we have them on a scedual its easier to lock them up at night

I free feed my birds, they self regulate very well. I have feeders out all day long. Do you just have the 3 of them? I would put a days worth out every morning, and leave it all day, until they go to roost. It may take some time for them to adjust, it may seem they are eating a lot, but once they get used to the idea that they can eat when needed, they should be calmer about it. Normally they eat periodically through out the day, they fill the crop, digest, and fill again. Unless they are ranging and have access to a wide variety of insects etc. They are likely really hungry. They usually hit the feeders as soon as they get up in the morning, again at various times during the day, and then they will fill their crops before going to roost. Birds have very fast metabolisms, so they need to feed more often.

I have never had trouble getting mine to go in the coop at night, they go as soon as it starts to get dark. They have feeders outside in the covered run, as evening comes on they go into the covered run from the outside run and eat, fill their crops, and then go in the coop to roost. They don't like to go in when it's still light out, maybe you are wanting them in earlier than that?

I have never had trouble getting mine to go in the coop at night, they go as soon as it starts to get dark. They have feeders outside in the covered run, as evening comes on they go into the covered run from the outside run and eat, fill their crops, and then go in the coop to roost. They don't like to go in when it's still light out, maybe you are wanting them in earlier than that?
depends but we also have a rat infestation

Rats are a big problem, you should really work on addressing that. I had a rat problem several years ago due to a neighbor, I ended up having to resort to poison to get rid of them. I'm not a fan of poison, but couldn't get anything else to work. They are very smart and will avoid traps. I used solid block poison and placed it out of reach in the rafters of my coop in closed containers that only the rats could get into. It took several months to get rid of them.

Rats are a big problem, you should really work on addressing that. I had a rat problem several years ago due to a neighbor, I ended up having to resort to poison to get rid of them. I'm not a fan of poison, but couldn't get anything else to work. They are very smart and will avoid traps. I used solid block poison and placed it out of reach in the rafters of my coop in closed containers that only the rats could get into. It took several months to get rid of them.
we have barn cats so we cant do poison

Back
Top Bottom