What is or has been your LONGEST/OLDEST living duck??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Jan 5, 2011.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Chillin' With My Peeps

What was your longest/oldest living duck you all had before it expired?

What is the typical life span of a duck/goose?

Just curious as to how long yours have lived and what you think you did to keep it living as long as it has before it expired?

Do breed specifications render in on the factor? Like for instance, smaller size dogs live a much longer life span(15-20yrs) then a giant size dog like what I have, a Great Dane. that typically lives 8-10yrs.

This curious mind wants to know! [​IMG]

2. Born A Duck Lover

Born A Duck Lover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Western Oregon
    I currently have a Buff drake who is eight years old and going strong. He's the oldest duck I have, and none of my ducks in the past have died of old age.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have a muscovy drake named Leonard that has lived here 7 yrs. He was given to me by someone who said he had him for 2 yrs.

So that will be 9 yrs. old and he looks and acts just like my younger muscovies...

I have read that geese can live to 20 plus years.. Maybe others can help you on those.

4. awryexperiment

awryexperiment New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    I have 4 ducks that were born May 3, 1999... so that makes them 11yrs- 8mo right now. One is swedish, 2 are fawn runners, and 1 is a black runner.

Its funny to see that they have all turned primarily white now, we call them our "old ladies".

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My oldest is 8yrs old Muscovy drake and he is still the ladies man......[​IMG]

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I know we've had several wild ducks at the lake make it well past 7 or 8 years, including muscovies that have lived at least 15 years. None of the geese had ever made it past a few years due to predators and/or car accidents.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I didn't know in Calif. that geese drove cars! Wow!! ....[sorry I just couldn't help myself Darlene]

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:LOL Maybe the geese would be better drivers than some of the people who drive around that parking lot at the lake.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You know your probably right..[​IMG]

10. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    The oldest duck I had was a gray call hen named cinniman. She was 9 years old when she and my whole flock at the time were killed by a pack of cyotes. She was one of the most cranky, stubborn birds I ever met and would take on anything that made her mad, she even attacked an 80 pound husky! And even though she would beat on the poor drakes, they LOVED her! she was my lil baby that I spoiled rotten. She was a one of a kind duck and I always will have a place in my heart for her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by