What is sticking out of my baby chick!!

I agree, a better photo of the pink thing would be good.
I would separate her. Chicks picking at that can cause damage.
Hard to tell if it's prolapse or intestine, but either way it needs to be kept moist if there is a protrusion. Honey, vaseline, coconut oil, anti-inflammatory cream, etc. can be used to keep tissue moist.
are these more helpful? sorry it’s really hard to see the pink thing with her fluff in the way

Attachments

• CDB87FBB-14A2-4410-B0F2-905B627D3B56.jpeg
    CDB87FBB-14A2-4410-B0F2-905B627D3B56.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 6144FD06-C3DC-441B-BFF3-6B70BBFC2029.jpeg
    6144FD06-C3DC-441B-BFF3-6B70BBFC2029.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DF823D0F-BA3A-48CF-B0E1-8068842BE7D3.jpeg
    DF823D0F-BA3A-48CF-B0E1-8068842BE7D3.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 35
Gently, using the moist cotton ball, push it in. As you push, the tissue will likely suck itself the rest of the way in. Never use a dry cloth or cotton ball, as that may hurt the tissue and it could stick to it. The moist cotton ball will assure no injury occurs.

Gently, using the moist cotton ball, push it in. As you push, the tissue will likely suck itself the rest of the way in. Never use a dry cloth or cotton ball, as that may hurt the tissue and it could stick to it. The moist cotton ball will assure no injury occurs.
thank you! will thayers witch hazel work? also the chicks have seemed to lay off her so i’m worried of separating them as she seems to be clinging to them

so i found normal witch hazel and tried to push it in but it didn’t budge. i was able to get more clearer photos of it though. am i not pushing hard enough?

Attachments

• 7741E7F5-0E91-49A0-9BD7-AAE7791286FE.jpeg
    7741E7F5-0E91-49A0-9BD7-AAE7791286FE.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 38
  • BE94D1FF-0BBA-4C8E-91A5-6B2C395BEAD8.jpeg
    BE94D1FF-0BBA-4C8E-91A5-6B2C395BEAD8.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 36
I'm not completely sure of what I'm seeing, but it doesn't look like a prolapse, just a swollen vent. If you have some cortisone cream, that can help reduce it and heal the inflammation. Keep the poop cleared from the vent, but try not to rub, just dab the witch hazel on it until the poop dissolves.

Try giving the chick some warm sugar water. It might give her a boost and she might improve enough to start to eat.

I'm not completely sure of what I'm seeing, but it doesn't look like a prolapse, just a swollen vent. If you have some cortisone cream, that can help reduce it and heal the inflammation. Keep the poop cleared from the vent, but try not to rub, just dab the witch hazel on it until the poop dissolves.

Try giving the chick some warm sugar water. It might give her a boost and she might improve enough to start to eat.
thank you for all your help! i applied cortisone cream and have watched her closely. she seemed to like the boiled egg and is eating pooping and drinking like normal

hi all i just thought i would update you on miss lucy! She seems to be still thriving and still being her adorable self. I read about the benefits of prep H for a swollen vent so i’m going to give that a try. As for her size i’m going to give a few drops of nutri drench a try. I woke up this morning to see she had no pasty butt, progress!!! I have been giving her egg and tofu but she will only eat it if the others eat it (she prefers to take it from the others mouth rather than eating out of the dish😂) quick question: is eating too much egg and tofu bad for the healthy chicks? i really only want to be giving it to her but she won’t eat it unless the others do.
thanks for all your help guys, I will continue to keep this thread updated about her progress!

Skip the Prep H and use the cortisone instead. Prep H has some toxic ingredients that most poultry experts now recommend against.

Tofu and egg are high protein, easily digested foods that are meant to perk up a chicken that isn't feeling well. Chickens almost always respond pretty quickly to treatment, and getting them back onto their commercial balanced feed is the immediate goal. When you see your chick has a good appetite, then it's time to switch back to the crumbles they normally eat.

Skip the Prep H and use the cortisone instead. Prep H has some toxic ingredients that most poultry experts now recommend against.

Tofu and egg are high protein, easily digested foods that are meant to perk up a chicken that isn't feeling well. Chickens almost always respond pretty quickly to treatment, and getting them back onto their commercial balanced feed is the immediate goal. When you see your chick has a good appetite, then it's time to switch back to the crumbles they normally eat.
thank you! i will confine with the normal cortisone instead

Back
Top Bottom