What is the best Hygrometer to use when Hatching Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Junkies, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Chicken Junkies

Chicken Junkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Just set my first clutch of eggs and was wondering what the best and most accurate Hygrometer would be. I have a digital one, but have heard they are not accurate. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using a HovaBator 1620 still air this time. Planning on adding a fan next hatch. I appreciate any help, as I haven't used this incubator before.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Why not calibrate the digital one you have and see how accurate it is? I have one of those Springfield units from Walmart that many people despise but I calibrated it and it reads humidity perfectly. If yours does too, you can use the one you already have....

3. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    After you add the fan to your incubator you can measure relative humidity with a wet bulb thermometer/hygrometer . Basically a glass thermometer with a wet wick slid over the end. Brinsea and Lyon electrics( Marsh Farms) sells them , among others. You compare the dry bulb temp to the wet bulb temp and calculate r/h using simple chart. This is the most accurate way. Won't work in still air incubators. Easier to use than it sounds.

4. Chicken Junkies

Chicken Junkies Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, guess I need to go read about calibrating hygrometers. I think I saw a chart here somewhere if I can just figure it out. lol My blub thermometer that came with the incubator is 3 degrees different than the digital one I have. [​IMG] Whew, what to do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by