What is the best Hygrometer to use when Hatching Eggs?

Chicken Junkies

Songster
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
Eastern Panhandle of WV.
My Coop
My Coop
Just set my first clutch of eggs and was wondering what the best and most accurate Hygrometer would be. I have a digital one, but have heard they are not accurate. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using a HovaBator 1620 still air this time. Planning on adding a fan next hatch. I appreciate any help, as I haven't used this incubator before.

Why not calibrate the digital one you have and see how accurate it is? I have one of those Springfield units from Walmart that many people despise but I calibrated it and it reads humidity perfectly. If yours does too, you can use the one you already have....

After you add the fan to your incubator you can measure relative humidity with a wet bulb thermometer/hygrometer . Basically a glass thermometer with a wet wick slid over the end. Brinsea and Lyon electrics( Marsh Farms) sells them , among others. You compare the dry bulb temp to the wet bulb temp and calculate r/h using simple chart. This is the most accurate way. Won't work in still air incubators. Easier to use than it sounds.

OK, guess I need to go read about calibrating hygrometers. I think I saw a chart here somewhere if I can just figure it out. lol My blub thermometer that came with the incubator is 3 degrees different than the digital one I have.
sad.png
Whew, what to do?

Back
Top Bottom