what is the proper etiquette for garage sales..dogs acceptable or not?

I didn't mind dogs until one lifted his leg on a box of yarn I had for sale.
The owner muttered "sorry' and left.

Now if I have a yard sale, I ask people to not bring their dogs in.

Quote:
That right there is sheer stupidity.

Usually along with the stupidity is a lawsuit .... If you let a stranger on your property and something happens its your insurance they go after... Dogs are best left at home or in the car.

I think the simple solution is: Ask the people hosting the sale... just walk up to them and ask them if they mind if you look around their sale with your dog....if they say no..then high-tail it outta there... easy peasy..
smile.png

I would never let my dog walk around someones property with out permission... asking the right thing to do.

The one thing no one has mentioned is that taking your dog someplace like that puts your dog at risk as well. I had a very well trained doberman. She was properly raised ,properly trained and a rally competitor. I was at a rally event with her one day when an 6 year old girl came running at her screaming and squealing with her arms outstretched to hug my dobie. She was face level with my dog.. I swung my dog behind me and reached out and grabbed that little girl before she could grab my dog. Her mom screamed at me for touching her kid but seemed to not understand that no matter how well behaved a dog may be a bite could still happen.She told me that if my dog couldnt be trusted to not bite a kid she should be put down. She did not think her child did anything wrong in approaching my dog the way she did. I honestly dont believe my dog would have bitten because she was well trained and had a very stable temperment but I couldnt let someone else poorly trained child put my highly trained dog at risk. Annoys me no little amount that people expect a dog to be better behaved and to have more control than their kid. A parent who teaches their child to ask before they touch is a blessing to both child and pet and has my sincere respect for their parenting and my deep appreciation for their efforts.
People often have no real clue about dogs and their ill thought behaviour can mean danger to the best pet. Its our job as a responsible pet owner to safe guard our pets by training them AND by keeping them safe from the often clueless actions of others.

My dogs are dogs - they are not children who need to go everywhere with me. Nor do I wish to expose them the strangers who may let them get away with, even encourage, bad behaviour. As well as exposing them to disease or parasites. They're good boys, but no way I would trust them around children, other cats, even adults who think a Lab is soooooo cute.

My dogs stay home guarding their territory and getting spoiled by us!
big_smile.png

I agree with Breezy, you might want be putting your pet at risk if you don't know if they're welcome at that house. I, personally, wouldn't bring them unless you know the person holding the garage sale and you know they don't mind. If you're just walking by and you don't know the people, it might be more polite to ask. If you see that their dog(s) is agitated, then it's best to leave and come back without your dog.

I grew up with the idea that dogs either belonged at home and walked around the neighborhood or only brought to places that are for dogs (like the dog park, the vet, pet store, dog beach, etc). This is as much for the dog's sake as the humans'.

IMO taking your dog somewhere it is not invited(and Fido, I assume, will not be spending cash at said yardsale) is very rude. Some people are allergic, some are terrified, some have big dogs who think little dogs are cats and want to chase them up a tree...or eat them
hu.gif
If the owners dogs see your dog, then the dog who lives there has an intruder, which is very upsetting. I'm a smoker, but I won't smoke at someone's yard sale, and would hope others would extend the same kind of common courtesy in regards to respecting my yard when I have a sale. If someone comes with their dog to my place...they'll be turned around, sale or not. I say it is improper etiquette because it seems inconsiderate of others who may or may not want the dog there. I understand you WANT to take the dog, and I have seen most dogs behave better than some folks kids at a sale, but I personally would never even dream of imposing my dog onto others.

Even if somebody asked me, I don't think that I would be comfortable taking somebodies word that their dog is friendly. How many times do you hear that a dog was friendly and never showed aggression until it mauled somebody? If I was having a yard sale, my dogs would be locked up and I wouldn't welcome somebody elses dog. Sorry, but no.

See here is where we all are different..
Myself? I dont mind your LEASHED dog with you at my yard sale... i'll actually enjoy meeting your dog.
But others feel differently.. thats WHY its very important to ASK the house owner...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom