What is this bad boy... and how to cook him?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by not your mom, May 31, 2012.

1. not your mom

not your mom Hatching

May 31, 2012
    He was acquired from a local school - the kids hatched eggs, admired the chicks, and then had to find homes for them. He found mine. For the first year he was very timid, so we didn't mind watching Fancy Pants Pretty Boy hang out with the hens. But this spring he turned suicidal and started attacking humans. So... he's in the freezer. Not a lot of meat on the bones, but a decent size.

Trying to decide if he'd be good barbequed - since 'tis the season - or if I'd better wait for a cold rainy day and slow-cook him in a stew. He was a little over a year old. (Those are small feathers on the lower legs - weird.) What breed is he, and any advice on cooking?

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    He looks to have been a mixed breed roo. At that age I'd be leary of the bbq, sounds like leather to me. I'd opt for low and slow--like in the crockpot, then shred the meat for enchiladas!

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if you want to BBQ him you'll need to pressure cook first than put him in a grill basket or tin foil and grill with favorite sauce he looks like a black copper marans cross

4. not your mom

not your mom Hatching

May 31, 2012
    Thanks folks, I do believe you're right. Enchiladas it is! Love that idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: