WHAT is this?!?!?!?

Acre of Blessings

Canning/Sewing Addict
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Axton, VA
The only thing I know about this is that the tree that it fell from was imported from Germany years ago and planted o a nearby farm. This thing weighs over a puond and has a mild sweet scent. I was told the inside looks similiar to a pineapple.

If you know anything about this please inform me. Thanks
smile.png

crafts09002-3.jpg

Its a hedge apple from a hedge tree. Some folks call them osage oranges. Hedge makes excellent fence posts and burns forever in a wood stove. The apples aren't good for much. Although, some say they keep this that or the other thing away. Do a google search to see what they use them for.
smile.png

Maclura pomifera, aka osage orange, aka hedge apple, aka horse apple, aka bois d'arc ("bodark")...lots of names.

We have an absolute TON of it around here.. One of these days, I'm going to find one with a good, straight 6-8' section, cut it into staves, cure it, and start "chasing rings" to make myself a longbow..

One of these days..
smile.png

It's a hedge ball! Used to keep away spiders and all kinds of bugs in your house...the sign at the grocery store always reads: Hedge balls DO NOT EAT!!! Put them in the corners of the rooms of your house and you won't have any bugs.

I tried it one year just to see...Didn't work too well.

We have those here too, on one road that I travel now and then. I made this same post a year ago asking what they were. Neat, huh? Horse apples-just don't eat them or give them to your chickens.

They are really cool looking. I am wondering if they can be dried out to use for a decoration or something.

Curiousity is getting the best of me.
idunno.gif

OMG haven't you see Maaaaatha Stewert decorate with them, she likes green you know.

Collect several and put in a large shallow bowl and be ever so chik, oops chic.

DonnaBelle

Quote:
They seem to just sorta get mushy, turn brown, and rot as far as I can tell.. They smell kinda good, though...maybe you could slice one up, dehydrate it, and use hedge apple chips in potpourri or something.

Now, if you'll excuse me...there's someone here asking for my man card.

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom