What is wrong with my chicken?

Leslipaige

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2017
CBE8E5A8-DDCF-40D9-AB82-E57BB2EECA41.jpeg
Hi! My chicken Dolly is having trouble laying eggs. She has had three eggs that were just the white part no yoke, little shell. Today I noticed her poor vent is red and gross. She is constantly trying to push it through. She is eating grass, corn and mealworms. Not much of anything else. I gave her a warm epson salt bath on her vent area and she seemed to like it. What else should I do? I’m worried. Oh she is pulling out her feathers back there too. When I cleaned it I saw a red swollen piece of her.

I was thinking prolapsed vent too. The epsom salt bath is a good start, but if the vent is protruding, you need to gently try pushing it back in. Wear gloves. Put a good bit of preparation H all over one finger of the glove, and insert gently, not too far down, getting a good bit of the preparation H inside. You may want to re-apply the preparation H for a few days.

The vent is not prolapsed. How old is she? Has she just recently started laying eggs for the first time? What do you feed?
We have had her since August of this year she was laying eggs when we got her. I’m not sure of her age. We feed her feed we get from tractor supply, grit, mealworms, corn on the cob, tomato’s, white rice cooked, grass, crickets... when I have her the Epson salt bath her vent was out. I’m going to take a better picture tomorrow and post it.

I was thinking prolapsed vent too. The epsom salt bath is a good start, but if the vent is protruding, you need to gently try pushing it back in. Wear gloves. Put a good bit of preparation H all over one finger of the glove, and insert gently, not too far down, getting a good bit of the preparation H inside. You may want to re-apply the preparation H for a few days.
Ok. I am going to try in the morning. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom