what is wrong with my rooster?!?! with pictures

Oh poo, it's time for the vet. I don't want to upset you but a really hard lump could be something serious. Hopefully a vet can take it out easily. If you leave it and it grows too large it could eventually obstruct his breathing or do permanent damage to his neck. He's really young and that's really great, you obviously take great care of your birds and are genuinely concerned and that's excellent. Follow your feelings if you think he's hurting or it will keep growing take action! Before you loose him. I hope you can find a good vet to help him. My ponies, dogs, chickens ducks and even our cat are all part of our little farm family!

A great Vet will work with you on fees, they will also understand if you explain this is your pet not just "livestock" and hopefully they will be able to deal with it fast and cheap. The vet school here in Raleigh, NC, is technically the best but extremely expensive and they never lower fees.... Look up the Incredible Dr Pol on the internet he has his own show. That's the kind of vet we all need, I wish there were clones of that guy everywhere!

Please let us all know what happens and what it is..... I'm sure everyone following this will be excited to hear how he is and pray for a fast recovery! BYC is the best when it comes to all us nutty poultry obsessed people! You'll always find support and a friendly word of encouragement here! Keep the chin up, you've got a billion new best friends here to wish you both well...!!! Susie Q

update-- I took Roo Roo to the vet today-- he has a tumor. The vet recommended not trying to remove based on its large size and the location of it. He said the rooster probably wouldn't survive the surgery. :( He still seems happy so I'm just going to let him live out the rest of life and see what happens.

update-- I took Roo Roo to the vet today-- he has a tumor. The vet recommended not trying to remove based on its large size and the location of it. He said the rooster probably wouldn't survive the surgery. :( He still seems happy so I'm just going to let him live out the rest of life and see what happens.
I agree with your decision to let him live out his life.
Keep in mind that if it's a fast growing tumor (or even slow growing,) eventually it could interfere with his ability to swallow food, drinking, breathing, pressing against internal organs etc...due to internal expansion of the tumor. This will affect his quality of life, you will then have to make a tough decision whether or not to cull him. I wish you the best.

So very sorry, I was really hoping that was not the case but I was a nurse for a long time and understand completely your vets point. He's right. It's better that you know for sure and have time to process.

We are all hoping Roo Roo can live with it for a long time to come and isn't hurting. I'm sure he knows you love him and want the best for him.

Big Hugs all around!!!!
hugs.gif
Susie Q

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advise. So far Roo Roo is doing fine-- doesn't seem to have any problems eating, breathing, etc.--- just acts like a normal chicken! The tumor doesn't appear to be growing much which is good. Hopefully he will still get to live a long life. I will certainly let him as long as he is happy! :) Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom