What is your favorite breed of quiet calm hen?

The quietest hens I ever had were Comets.
thumbsup.gif

I like my Black Australorp, she is very quiet. she growls though lol, but my Ameracauna will let me pick her up and she doesn't make a peep!

love.gif
We have 4 RIR's and 3 Barred Rocks. Absolutely LOVE them!! Our girls are perfect. Super sweet all of them. The Rock Girls are a total crack up. The other day they figured out IF I don't sit for them they fly up to perch on my shoulder. Of course they are always checking my shirt pockets for treats...
lau.gif
Great excuse for getting nothing done
wee.gif

SO FAR...our 4 Barred Rock pullets just make little cooing, chirpy noises....very quiet, pleasant and soothing.

They are also quite tame, looking for a shoulder or back to come up on...they all will eat from our hands....love chasing the little blue melamine dish with their "bribe" treats to get to bed in their house....."bribe" treats being some oats, spaghetti with cayenne and grit, as well as a topping of chopped broccoli. Oh YUM!!! (tee hee).

That being said, they are only about 2 months old, so we have no "egg laying" songs or bragging "arias" going on yet.

Time will tell, but hopefully, in our spot of suburbia, they will remain "quiet", at least when most folks are not home trying to sleep. We DO have some neighbours that are daytime sleepers; one is an ER dispatcher, the other is a cop....hmmmm?
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I have 1 light sussex, 2 buff orps and 2 barred rocks and the light sussex is definately the calmest and quietest. She will just stand there and let us pick her up, my oldest son carries her around everywhere. My 2 buff orps are "scatty" and a sparrow flying past will scare them (!!!). Mind you, they are the youngest so maybe it is a age thing :)

Mine are still in the ugly teenager stage, but of the 4 breeds I have, the buff orps are far and away the most laid back.

They were afraid and flightly as babies and I was worried thay would not change, but now they're like big fat orange cats.

They like to be near me, like petting, love being talked to, and spend most of their time just lazing around. They're also just beautiful, with big fluffy feathers and I love their fuzzy bloomers.

Back
Top Bottom