What is your favorite Chicken Breed?

Asking what my favorite chicken breed is like asking who's your favorite parent, for me. Every breed has so many good qualities. But my top three are Barred Rocks, Red/Black Sex-Links, and White Leghorns. All are good layers, hardy, and sweet. If you take egg production seriously, White Leghorns are the way to go, but Sex-Links also lay well if you want brown eggs. Barred Rocks are also good layers, and are very docile and sweet.

Asking what my favorite chicken breed is like asking who's your favorite parent, for me. Every breed has so many good qualities. But my top three are Barred Rocks, Red/Black Sex-Links, and White Leghorns. All are good layers, hardy, and sweet. If you take egg production seriously, White Leghorns are the way to go, but Sex-Links also lay well if you want brown eggs. Barred Rocks are also good layers, and are very docile and sweet.
I'm glad to here you say that your Rocks were docile and sweet
big_smile.png
Although I've heard more good than bad reports about them, there have been some people who say that there Barred Rocks want NOTHING to do with them and hate being held!!! I *REALLY* hope my Barred Rocks are going to be sweet and friendly when they grow up!!!
fl.gif
I have to say however, that they're not extremely friendly right now, but, then again, they're only 3 days old!! Do you have any tips to help them bond to me besides giving them tons of treats?? Thanks!!!!
thumbsup.gif

I'm glad to here you say that your Rocks were docile and sweet
big_smile.png
Although I've heard more good than bad reports about them, there have been some people who say that there Barred Rocks want NOTHING to do with them and hate being held!!! I *REALLY* hope my Barred Rocks are going to be sweet and friendly when they grow up!!!
fl.gif
I have to say however, that they're not extremely friendly right now, but, then again, they're only 3 days old!! Do you have any tips to help them bond to me besides giving them tons of treats?? Thanks!!!!
thumbsup.gif
Barred Rocks can grow to be the sweetest chickens (I have one that jumped on my shoulder when she wanted attention!). But, any chicks can become bonded with you. Just hold them a lot and speak, getting them used to your voice. If they start to fall asleep in your hands, they trust you. And also, I know this is an odd suggestion, but sing to them. Chicks (and chickens) love music, whether you sing, or play a CD. Mine loved Phantom of the Opera songs, but anything calming works. Playing also helps. In my experience, chicks love to chase after wood chips. I hope your chicks are doing well; they're so fun to have, and good luck!!

Barred Rocks can grow to be the sweetest chickens (I have one that jumped on my shoulder when she wanted attention!). But, any chicks can become bonded with you. Just hold them a lot and speak, getting them used to your voice. If they start to fall asleep in your hands, they trust you. And also, I know this is an odd suggestion, but sing to them. Chicks (and chickens) love music, whether you sing, or play a CD. Mine loved Phantom of the Opera songs, but anything calming works. Playing also helps. In my experience, chicks love to chase after wood chips. I hope your chicks are doing well; they're so fun to have, and good luck!!
Awww!!! Thanks for the advice....!!! I'm going to try that.
big_smile.png

Awww!!! Thanks for the advice....!!! I'm going to try that.
big_smile.png
Hope it helps! Barred Rocks are great because they all develop different personality traits, and are fun to watch, especially if you can tell them apart! Some can tend to be a bit pecky, but overall, they are all sweet!

Hope it helps! Barred Rocks are great because they all develop different personality traits, and are fun to watch, especially if you can tell them apart! Some can tend to be a bit pecky, but overall, they are all sweet!
Thanks again!!! And sorry for my newbie question, but do you mean they get pecky to other chickens or to people???

I'm trying to get a few Buff Orpingtons and a few Black Sex links, to get re started. Two Thiesen's stores in town. Each store has one or the other, and the six limit. I don't need 12 chicks. But then, chick days aren't done yet.

I'm trying to get a few Buff Orpingtons and a few Black Sex links, to get re started. Two Thiesen's stores in town. Each store has one or the other, and the six limit. I don't need 12 chicks. But then, chick days aren't done yet.
Buff Orps are really nice chickens!! Good luck!!

Thanks again!!! And sorry for my newbie question, but do you mean they get pecky to other chickens or to people???
Everyone is a newbie sometime. :D

About the pecky thing: both other chickens and people. I have one that pecks me when she wants food. Another that's high up in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom