what is your obsession with raising chickens?

chicksbestfriend

Songster
9 Years
Jul 12, 2010
Maui, Hawaii
fl.gif
62894_nnn_001.jpg

Any other chicken lovers out there that have any strange obsessions? The first obsession that I had and was hard to break was "playing" with my eggs. Each day, I would collect and wash the eggs, then store them in the icebox. I began to have an over abundance of eggs collecting in my icebox, in fact, thats all that was in there! People would ask me if I had any extra for sale and I would always say no. I would become really upset and protective of the eggs, not wanting to share them for fear of running out of eggs for myself. It was very traumatic parting with them. (Guess you could say I know how a broody chicken feels like)! Each night while my husband was at work, I would bring out all my cartoons of eggs. I would arrange them in order according to their sizes, then colors, then shapes, count them, etc. One night my husband came home early unexpectedly and caught me with all my eggs out on the counter and asked me what the heck I was doing, I told him very proudly that I was playing with my eggs! He told me that I was crazy and needed to get some help, like some therapy. I just laughed it off because I work in the mental health field and do therapy with crazy people. So the next day, I went into work and shared with my clinical supervisor about my obsession with the eggs and she told me that I needed "egg therapy" and recommended that I begin giving my eggs away or sell them! Took me several weeks into therapy before I was able to let go of my first egg. Thank goodness for therapy, I got over my egg hoarding, I have a successful little side business of selling my eggs (thanks to the support of my husband and my mother in law), but now the obsession has turned into hoarding chickens! I breed and sell off most of the hatchlings, but with each hatch, I find myself keeping several from each hatch to attain equal numbers of each breed, which never happens. Each night as I take the flock into their henhouse, I count how many of each breed that I have so that all are accounted for, and I count them several times each night according to their breed! I am starting to think that I am OCD, and I am still in therapy! he he he

you have issues: just kidding!!
lau.gif

i hate to sell mine too, afraid i wont have enough for my own family. but its alot of fun selling them and the people i sell them to, are so excited to get my fresh eggs!!!!!!!

yippiechickie.gif

Never really thought about it til I saw this post-I would sort through and say to myself "this ones really nice-I'll keep this one-wow look at this color!!" realized I had to stop because they were all mine !!!!
smile.png
Then I had found out how many people in my fairly small town have been out of work and needed the basics so I started giving the eggs to those families -it was alot easier to part with them.

Quote:
Really? You are a mental health therapist and you call your clients/patients "crazy people"? That's a remarkably unprofessional statement.

Quote:
Really? You are a mental health therapist and you call your clients/patients "crazy people"? That's a remarkably unprofessional statement.

I am sorry ranchhand for referring to my clients as "crazy people" in this post, you are correct that I stated it very unprofessionally, especially to those who are not in that field to understand. My bad. The clients that I work with, as well as myself, all know that they, them and me are crazy and we have found healing in admitting and referring to ourselves as the crazy people and we do not look at it as being labeled in a derogatory way, we think that being crazy is a unique characteristic that makes us stand out of a crowd, its nothing to be ashamed of or to hide. What I was referring to, "it takes one crazy person to understand another crazy person." Again, my deepest apology if anyone else also found offensive to my statement.

I most definitely had an obsession! every time i went some where, everything i seen lol. could be a chicken coop! or something for my chickens!, i had it bad too! but now i dont have to worry about that anymore, the city made me rehome my chickens, but i did fight city hall & lost!
sad.png
....but i did get to keep them 4 yrs, with no problems...not even 1 complaint!..... i really miss them too!

Quote:
*shrug* As a person that goes to counseling, I didn't take it offensively.

Then again, I'm the offspring of plumbers and have never heard them off the clock refer to that brown stuff as 'fecal matter' or 'waste'.

Maybe a bad parallel to make...

I am slowly losing my obsession with chickens. They were taking over my life and I'm losing heart. The work is getting to me. The thrill is gone. I just gave away 6 hens. (3aussies and 3 slw) To many roos and no where to send them and not sure they'll be meaty enough in Aug and they are eating a ton of food.
Wish I could just cull them or find some one who can.
To many young hens not laying. EE's. To many broodies. Not enough room and what to do with the chicks?
Spent to much money and not enough return.
I think I'd like to get rid of them but would feel guilty after all the work and money.

No longer obsessed.

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom