What kid of production from these breeds?

vjbakke

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
MN
We are planning our flock for next year. We have RSL , Dom and EE right now. The RSL are awesome layers and have huge eggs.

We want to try some different breeds next time, but not sure of the amount of egg production to expect from them. We get hatchery birds.
I know sometimes real life egg laying can vary from what the hatchery says.
Here's the breeds we are looking into getting.

Buckeye
Black copper maran
deleware
Rhode island red
comumbian Wyandottes
Blue laced red wyandotte

Thanks!

I don't have any of the breeds on your list but I do have Barred Rocks and I have found them to be great layers. Ours just started the end of Nov. and beginning Dec. to lay (during the coldest part of winter) and we consistently get 6 eggs a week out of them. They also were our first to lay and they lay nice sized large eggs. We also have EE's and Silkies and they just started laying so I can't tell you much about consistency.

Just thought I would share
smile.png

We have Delawares and they are wonderful layers, very friendly and vocal large birds. Rhode Island Reds are champs at laying big brown eggs, quiet and pretty friendly. We had gold and silver wyndottes, neither very good layers, but ate a ton, won't get them again. Not on your list but great layers and wonderful birds at White Leghorns, love the Orpingtons but not that great of layers. Good luck to you in getting new breeds.

Wyandottes are wicked good layers, and they keep laying as they get older, too. Mine are going on four years old and still laying well. And they're one of the most attractive breeds, too. The gold-laced ones are prone to broodiness if that factors in.

Back
Top Bottom