what kills in broad daylight, and leaves the bodies?*GRAPHIC PICS*

Quote:
never seen this dog before,the people up the road have a black pit/lab mix, but it's much smaller than this one was.

I didn't SEE any big dog tracks, but it's getting dark..AND! it's fixing to rain,...again...I know I'll be on look out for a few days...luckily, nothing has taken notice in the ducks, and I hope they never do!...thats why I don't like free-ranging, we've lost more birds freeranging than anything.
rant.gif

Well good luck to you, I am sorry you're going thru this terrible time. I do hope you find the culprit before it kills again!

I just wanted to say, also, that coons around here only hit at night up until dawn so they may be braver elsewhere. I don't want to offend anyone by saying it's not a coon. It just couldn't be a coon where I am, that has been our experience.

Quote:
I've seen fox a few hours before the sun sets, but they are always small, probably young, I remember a particular one who was maybe last years kit, it decided to chase one of the cats,well the cat turned and chased back!, the fox got a bite to the butt for it's trouble!

can y'all tell I spend ALOT of time outside towards evening?? LOL

I don't think we'll let the chickens out tomorrow, what are the chances of what got those two today, coming back tomorrow??

theylook just like my weasel victims. i don't know if you have weasels or ermines in your area, but to me that's what it looks like maybe? perhaps a neighbor's ferret got loose, nasty little vermin.

all of our weasel attacks happened in broad daylight with NO reaction from any of our dogs. it's a possibility. another thing is that weasels will often kill all that they see and then pick and choose which one they want and try to drag it off. don't know why they do that, but that's what they seem to do.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss!!!

Although, all of you that mentioned coons and other nocturnal animals...keep in mind anytime you see a normally nocturnal mammal in the daylight (coon, possum, etc) that it's typically a large cue that the animal may be rabid so if you have any animals attacked, TAKE PRECAUTIONS for yourself as well and keep this in mind if caring for them! And as well as trying to get rid of them. Any rabid animal will be much bolder and have less intimidation about attacking a human much larger than themselves.

I was surprised lately to hear a neighbor say the racoons were in her bird feeder during the day. I had always thought of them as night feeders. Now i will have to be extra vigilant. Gloria Jean

Quote:
thats one thing I was thinking, was a weasel,could that also have been what had been leaving the bite marks on the other birds before?

I had a ferret once, who got into a breeding tank of mice, she just bite them all on the neck and left them, killed every single one but two. didn't eat but one.

is there any way to get rid of the little pests?, or are they always going to be around like those darned mice in the shed??

Quote:
thats one thing I was thinking, was a weasel,could that also have been what had been leaving the bite marks on the other birds before?

I had a ferret once, who got into a breeding tank of mice, she just bite them all on the neck and left them, killed every single one but two. didn't eat but one.

is there any way to get rid of the little pests?, or are they always going to be around like those darned mice in the shed??

to keep weasels from getting into the coop i seal EVERYTHING with chicken wire. the floor, ANY holes they might squeeze into.... it's really hard to weasel-proof your anything. i just shoot them when i see them, their little pelt is worth about $40 (that's two bags of feed!) so it's win-win. weasel is dead, the extra $40 can be used for feed! you can also try a commercial rat trap. a big one, bait it with meat. and yes, they can just leave bite marks. they are very "weasely" when it comes to attacking other animals. bite & run... or bite & chew, then run.

and yeah weasels, ferrets, ermine will all just kill everything in sight and then choose one of eat or just let them sit. REALLY bad predators and very damaging to any small animals, especially chickens.
hmm.png
turkey, i hear, will try to kill weasels, but they can get a disease called Black Head when they are kept with chickens.

we have two turkeys, they like to kill and eat mice, and small birds O_O, I wish they would kill them some weasels
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom