What kind of chick did I get?

Marvelisticme

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
I recently bought 6 chicks, to start our own egg production :) What I thought I was getting were 2 barred rocks, 3 black sex links and 1 red sex link (all female). The barred rocks are starting to grow their stripes, as expected and the red is starting to get her red feathers, but 2 of the supposed blacks are looking decidedly different from the 3rd. Two of them are getting pretty brown breast feathers and are much larger than the 3rd one. Can the mystery chick be identified yet? I hope I didn't get a male...not ready for a rooster, as this is my first time to raise chickens!

They're all looking pretty scraggly right now, while losing down and gaining feathers :)

Oops, just noticed which forum I posted this in :( Can I move it or maybe someone here has an answer anyway???

Well, two of are getting the red/brown chest feathers, but the third one that is supposed to be another black sex link, has a white chest and a few white tipped wing feathers. Sorry, I only showed y'all the back of it to begin with. Here is her front...

Red sex link chickens and black sex link chickens can look very different, This I learned after having my own freak out lol. I have 2 BR, 2 Red sex link and 2 Black sex link. One of my reds has a lot more white on her than the other (mostly on her back end) and one of my blacks has very pretty red/brown trimmed feathers on her chest. It all depends on what breeds of chickens were actually used to make the sex links.

Katie

Oh, I thought they were a specific match up. I knew about the white spot on the head, but this one looked so much different than the obvious black sex links, that I thought it was a whole different breed and the lack of white spot didn't necessarily mean it was female anymore. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what they grow up looking like. The barred rocks look slightly different too. Will have to think carefully about what kind of rooster to get, if we decide to get one :)

Back
Top Bottom