What kind of chickens are these?

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
Back in July my son bought a box of nine "Heirloom" breed chicks at a fair. These three they have no idea what they are.

This is a small sized rooster

101508rooster2.jpg

This is a regular sized pullet, but has really yellow legs more yellow than his Rhode Island Reds. And it has bluish green tail feathers.

101508chicken.jpg

This is another little rooster

101508rooster.jpg

Any ideas on the breeds?

My guess is the top and bottom are probably OEGB, and the middle a RIR...Someone said once if they are fed a lot of corn it can make their legs really orange.

I'm sorry but your pullet looks like a roo to me. And looks like a Buckeye because I don't see a single comb on your bird.

We'd really need a close up pic of the head straight on. Now I'm not starting anything I just knew I'd seen this before...It's on the RIR description on feathersite, "The single combed variety was admitted to the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1904 and the rose combed birds a year later." There is also a rosecomb variety of RIR so the comb having to be single isn't always reliable. And near the bottom and about the middle it shows some...The cocks really shows a rosecomb but the hens not so much.
But you do have a point it could be a young male Buckeye, I was just going by the fact that my Buckeye pullet doesn't have near that much green/black tail feathers and assumed it was older.

Cindy

RIR's come in single and rose comb varieties but RC r hard to find and usually rare. i sold my RC RIR pullet that was about 10mth old a few weeks ago. it is definately not a RC RIR legs r way to yellow and to much dark color in it.

it looks like a buckeye to me also. as far as comb wise it looks pullet to me but body wise it looks like a roo to me so i'm guessing it is a young roo also.

other 2 i agree look like oegb's.

Back
Top Bottom