what kind of ducks?

Hello!!!
In my opinion, any breed can lay very well if properly fed and cared for. Currently I have 110 ducks.....many different breeds. I raise and sell rare breed ducks (Anconas, Magpies, Dutch Hookbills, Welsh Harlequins,etc.). Runners and Campbells lay very well.....but so do all the other breeds I own. I'd suggest researching some rare breeds and perhaps going with one of them.....you'd have eggs, great ducks and you'd help preserve duck breeds that might otherwise be lost forever. I've had domesticated Mallards also....they were also very sweet......they're all "individuals" though.
Sincerely, Kathy in NY

monkey - I think everyone's agreed that ANY breed of duck is a good choice! You should get one of each!
big_smile.png

Quote:
ep.gif
110 ducks and 74 chickens! I'm only up to 15 ducks and 2 cockerels and I have too much to do everyday. Kudos to you!
smile.png

Hey, Annarie!!!
Yea...my rather large flock keeps me very busy........but I truly enjoy it!!! Watching them interact is usually much better than TV....and it helps keep me in pretty decent shape (for my age). Today I turned 51.....and in a few minutes I have to shovel poop in the barn....but there's nothing else I'd rather be doing!!! I'm always telling people how wonderful ducks and chickens are....and it's so nice to meet other people like you and the many friends I've already made on BYC!!! At least you'all domn't think it's "crazy" to love our feathered friends like I totally do!!!Smile!!!
Monkey, go with whatever breed you really like.......they're all really wonderful!! I do rescues....mostly roosters and ducks. Perhaps you'd consider rescuing a few ducks!!! There's always a great need for good homes!!! Check with waterfowl rescue groups or any local rescues!!!! Well worth the time and effort!! Let us know what you decide. Whatever it is, we all wish you luck, I'm sure!!
Sincerely, Kathy in Upstate NY

Quote:
Rouens look almost exactly like mallards but are friendlier and are a bit bigger, also better at production. We had a female who was our best duck, she'd let you pick her up and crry her around with no fuss, a bit small for the breed because she was a hatchery bird though.

Quote:
In my opinion, a Mallard drake wouldn't be a good choice with Campbell ducks. He'd be too energetic, and too rough with the ladies. Those smaller guys are quick, and can do a lot of damage. I keep my mallard drakes penned separately from all my other ducks.

A Welsh Harlequin or Rouen drake would be a much better fit. Here are some pictures from feathersite.com:

Welsh Harlequin Drake:

WelshHarlDr.JPEG

Rouen Drake:

RouenDrFrance.JPEG

They're nearly identical to a mallard, and while a Mallard would fly away at the first chance it got, Harlequins and Rouens are both (relatively) flightless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!!!
Welsh Harlequins drakes are pretty mellow.....at least all 9 of mine are!!! And they're gorgeous!! That may be a great choice for you.
Sincerely, Kathy

Hopping into this topic - I've been kicking around the idea of a handful of ducks, so this thread is interesting to me. I like the variety of runners' colors and patterns, but I dunno if you're supposed to cross the different varieties. Then I figured, why not go with a rare breed? It's the same amount of work so maybe it'd be good to help preserve them, if one 'fits' us well.

I'd like maybe 4, and I'd like em to forage, not be louder than my 3 pet pygmy goats, lay eggs, not get eaten by predators (OK that's more my responsibility) and not fly away. We have a 1/3 acre pond, it's not fenced in. Next to the pond is the electric fenced goats & mini horse paddock, I figured they'd go in there at night and hang out loose with a floating house in the daytime. But I'm still waiting for Storey's guide to come from the inter-library loan and it's the middle of winter, so I'm open to suggestions. I guess I'd rather get them from a person than mail away from a hatchery, so Kathy (ancona91) you caught my eye
wink.png

thanks folks,
-Kim

Hello, Kim (toadbriar)!!!!
I'm glad you're considering adding ducks !!! They are wonderful ,comical,friendly....just fun to have around!! Plus the eggs are great!!! Read up on the different rare breeds......see what catches your eye and your interest. All the breeds have laid well for me....and most are fairly quiet. I definitely plan on breeding Anconas and Magpies this year........2 0f my favorite breeds.
Runners are also great!!! If you want to keep the colors pure, you'd have to separate them....but a lot of people just let them interbreed......they'll still be Runners.
If I can be of assistance in any way, please let me know. I do want you to know that they'll definitely need a house so they'll be safe at night. It doesn't even have to be anything fancy or elaborate....just something safe from predators. An electric fence does nothing to deter owls.....
Sincerely,
Kathy

Back
Top Bottom