what kind of incubator do you have????

joe17

Songster
11 Years
Nov 25, 2009
Louisiana
I have a forced air hova bator incubator. I have heard of r-com incubators and octagon incubators. What do you think is the best incubators?? What kind of incubator do you have??

We run 2 of the 400 egg redwood incubators. Both are probably as old as I am, but are priceless. I put new wafers and a remote digital thermometer in them. They hold humidity and temp better than anything I've ever dealt with before. We hatch everything from chicken to pheasant, peafowl, quail, turkeys, ducks, and geese all in the same incubator.

I've never had luck with any of the styrofoam incubators. They simply are too variable in temp and humidity. You have to sit and babysit them for the most part. I would love one of the new Sportsman eventually.

I have a homemade incubator that has been working fantastic for me, you can see it on my homepage, it won the BYC incubator contest this year.

AL

Little Giant 9200 Still air... So far it hasnt hatched anything
hide.gif
.. Its on its 3rd set of eggs now... Maybe im just not good at it yet..
hit.gif

after reading that.. .wishing I had a redwood incubator.

I have the hovabator.

Did two hatches, both with 41 eggs and only got 12 from both hatches.

I have 2 Little Giant styrofoam incubators, both with fans, one with egg-turner.

They both hold steady temps and seem easy to regulate humidity.

I haven't incubated in them yet. My "Chicken Area" needs work before I add any more chickens.

From what I have read, the key to having good hatches in these styrofoam incubators is to have them in a room that has stable temperatures and humidity, without drafts or heavy direct sunlight.

I'm expecting a reasonably good hatch when I do it shortly after the 1st of next year (hopefully). In the mean-time, I'm just studying what others say about what works and what doesn't. (My Father once told me that I wouldn't live long enough to makeALL the mistakes myself.....so I had better start learning from other people's mistakes !!!...if I can.

I think that I have learned that humidity is not so very important as temperature.......AND...opening the incubator is just "asking for trouble"....therefore, the egg-turner. I suppose a candling about the 12th day and then again on the 18th day when I transfer the eggs to the 2nd incubator (hatcher..the one without the turner) will be all the opening of the incubators that I will do until the hatch is over.

just my inexperienced 2 pesos worth,
wink.png
smile.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

I have 2 Brower top hatches and a little giant still air. I am happy with all of them. My dream is a Dickey cabinet bator. It will be mine some day.
droolin.gif

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom