What Kind Of Leg Band Is Best Used On A Silkie For Showing

bhindes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Ok all you silkie show people what kind of leg band is best used for a silkie that won't damage the leg feathering? Also how do you put it on? Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I only have 1 chicken and that is my silkie Skye. I am wanting to show her but I am not sure what kind of band or make and how to put it on. Thanks for any input.

Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish with putting on a leg band? The reason will help determine what type to us. If you just want to id your bird, a numbered spiral would do. If you want sometime to stay on for the lifetime, you can band with the ABA bands that are numbered with year,numbers etc. You could also us metal numbered bands.or wing bands. None of these will affect foot feathering since they are on the legs/wings not the feet themselves.

I prefer the bands from the ABA, but if the birds has grown to big for these to be put on, I go for the metal bands on the legs.

Most bands are hard to find, you really have to look, for them on my birds.

They also have colored zip ties, they are a quick way for me to tell the breeding group that the birds are from in my flock.

I am wanting to start showing her at the local fair. I want a band only for identification purposes for the shows. As soon as she gets home I want to be able to take it off. She is my only chicken and she is my baby I love her to peices so I don't want to hurt her. I am very unexperienced when it comes to leg bands. Also she has a ton of leg and foot feathering that I don't want to ruin when I put a band on her that is why I would like to know what kind, size, and how to put it on. Thank you for your help.

Quote:
A properly sized band that is put on correctly should not her her, and will not break foot feathers. For silkies, a size 9 is best, although on a larger male, one size up would also work. I did have one bird with a very wide metal band that I felt was probably uncomfortable because of the width, and removed it. I've hears a few express concern about wing bands being painful, but in my mind it would seem like a pierced ear--painful to happen, but once it is over, no pain. That said, I haven't used wing bands.

If your birds are more than a month of two, they are too old for seamless bands. I don't think that metal bands are any more permanent than plastic ones; I've removed both from my birds on occasion with no difficulty. That said, I generally do not remove bands once I place them on the bird.

I bought size 9 spiral bands for mine. I dont want anything permanent. I just wanted some ID on my breeders. Im scared to put them on though because Im afraid I will hurt their little legs lol I will put them on them when they are matured I guess.

*Ohh and sonoran, I emailed you just now

Back
Top Bottom