What kinds of pigeons?

PoultryFanatic22

Songster
5 Years
May 8, 2018
California
Does anyone know what kinds of pigeons these are? I bought them at at livestock auction today because they looked neat! Would they be okay to keep in my homer loft? Or should I keep them separate?

Attachments

• D57A8919-D35F-4F10-87C0-4EF184E8754A.jpeg
    D57A8919-D35F-4F10-87C0-4EF184E8754A.jpeg
    724.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 54ECD508-BD10-4F17-8901-D48968E2E71D.jpeg
    54ECD508-BD10-4F17-8901-D48968E2E71D.jpeg
    750 KB · Views: 18
  • 75775E0E-E59E-409D-98F7-71A976BC2439.jpeg
    75775E0E-E59E-409D-98F7-71A976BC2439.jpeg
    732.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 1D8B5952-1CE8-431F-AE1F-AA242F4B82FF.jpeg
    1D8B5952-1CE8-431F-AE1F-AA242F4B82FF.jpeg
    820.8 KB · Views: 14
Always quarantine!! dont put these guys in with your loft :D

First ash red pair appears to be a utility breed, possibly King or possibly Modena, they look just like a pigeon my friend has so I'm going to ask him what his is, just in case his are neither of these breeds :)

The blue bar and ash red bar look like they're probably the same breed, they both look fairly young, could possibly be Show Homers, their beaks and legs aren't long enough to be Beauty Homers but they look quite a bit like the Show Homer's I've seen :D (although they could change as they age!)

Theres always a chance they could be mixes too, if you do fly, I'd be extra careful about flying these guys (if the ash red pair can even really fly that is! ;D) cause they may not have that good homing ability, despite the names show homers aren't the best flying birds haha

The first 2 pigeons look like Modenas. They are a show pigeon, but are supposed to be able to fly. Peeps keep as show, or as pets. Those are not likely to pair up with your homers, and actually some do have problems/issues with breeding.
You other 2 pigeons, I am not aware of breed. They are not regular homers, or rollers that I could identify to. I think they are a fancy show breed of some.
You can keep them with your homers, But I would avoid having them breed with homers, if you still want decent racing/homing birds.
I also am not sure if these homeset to new lofts as adults, or not. :idunno
Enjoy your new pets.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

:oops: I know it's wrong but I would like to see some random bred crosses.:lol:
I don't think of it being wrong,,,:idunno, crosses are fine:old if person just intends to keep as pets.. :love ....... Which is most likely the case. A HARDCORE RACER would not have questions as what was posted, and would strictly stick to top bloodlines anyways.

Thank you everyone! I will keep these guys separate from my homers. Do the Modena’s look like a m/f pair? I don’t plan on racing the American Show Racers, but would it be okay to let them fly around the loft? The Modena’s can only fly a few feet from the ground so I’ll keep those guys penned up.

but would it be okay to let them fly around the loft?
Not totally sure of your question, but I think you meant LOFT FLYING outdoors.
Most certainly you can, but you need to make sure they are homeset to your loft. I do not know anything about those American Show Racers. They are show birds, and have no idea of their homing abilities. That means finding their previous home.
Loft flying,,,,,, meaning releasing them from your loft, and letting them fly around, I believe all pigeons can be trained to return to their own loft. Other than homers, most pigeons will not venture very far from home. Losses occur when such pigeons get chased by a predator, and fly away out of their normal range. Homers do find their way home, but other breeds including common Birmingham Rollers, if fly too far, cant find home. :hit
The choice is yours to try. I would try training (after minimum of month in your loft, and viewing outdoors thru aviary) by releasing just one of the mated pair, and hungry. If successful, then try releasing other mate same way, solo, and hungry. I would also repeat the procedure multiple times before letting both out together.
There are ways to train by clipping wings, so they do not escape far, and train to re-enter loft. I'm not in favor of such methods, because;;; takes long time for pigeons to regrow feathers. Unlike duration for chickens, which is less time.
Your decision must also be based on how much ca$h you have invested, and your tolerance on taking the loss.

Your Modenas, I think you may decide to have fly around your backyard, if you feel they will not escape far. Best way to determine that would be to observe how well they fly inside your empty garage. Then you would have a feel for their flying desires.
Again, train same as described above. Seems that hunger, and knowing where food is keeps pigeons close to food.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I will keep these guys separate from my homers. Do the Modena’s look like a m/f pair? I don’t plan on racing the American Show Racers, but would it be okay to let them fly around the loft? The Modena’s can only fly a few feet from the ground so I’ll keep those guys penned up.
It does kind of look like a male female pair, however I have changed my mind about their breed. After zooming in on their bands I saw they are AKC bands (American King Club), so they are probably show kings. And yes they are definitely NOT a flying breed. The American show racers are also an exhibition breed. You could most likely settle them, but the likelihood of them even wanting to fly much is very low (I used to raise them years ago). Would most likely end up as hawk bait.

Does anyone know what kinds of pigeons these are?
The first two photos look like Modena Pigeons the other would be only a guess from me. As a rule Mondena pigeons are poor fliers compared to homers. Then there is that "ONE" exception to the rule that has good homing instincts but takes them days to fly home. I think they will fit in just fine in your homer loft. My guess for the other two is that the fancier you obtained them from does white dove releases. Those are two birds that when their parents mated they carried recessive genes and they are a result of that pairing. Here is a result of some of the recessive genes I have experienced in my White Dove Flock.

All most all of the birds in these two cages came from solid white parents with a couple of exceptions.

For Sale 4.JPG

Check out the link below.

https://www.roysfarm.com/modena-pigeon/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom