What? My Chicken is Lying Down?

mrchicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 4, 2011
One of my 7 week old chickens sometimes lays down on one side WHEN SHE IS OUTSIDE ONLY. Some times she does, sometimes she doesn't.
Why? None of the other chickens do.

Last edited:
Is she by any chance dust bathing??? Mine do that when they're dust bathing...not for long, but for 5 or 10 seconds...

I don't think she's dust bathing because she sometimes does it for long periods of time. (Especially when it's hot out.)

Mine do that a lot, they lay on their side and stick one leg out behind them, it looks strange but they don't seem to have any issues they just like to sleep that way I guess...

Out of my 6 chooks, I have seen 4 of them do this.. not to say the others haven't, I just haven't seen it! I freaked out at first and thought something was wrong with them, but they do look very comfy and relaxed when they do it
smile.png

I have 2 Easter Eggers and one does that all the time and the other only does it when taking a dirt bath. I just see it as part of their personality. While she is lounging, I have a SS that forages like crazy, a BO that wanders around aimlessly and a pair of sister BA's that chest bump. That is why they are so fun to watch! : )

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could always check to see if she has lice or mites. Also, sometimes when they are hot, they like to lay as close to the ground as they can because it helps cool them.

Does she lie on her side, stretch a wing and foot out? You said she does it more when it's hot. She's sun-bathing, no worries.
smile.png

Quote:
HA yep I thought mine had a broken leg at first, but when I went over to check the situation they were off and running so I knew that wasn't the case.
I also think it is that they have just found their comfy position

Back
Top Bottom