What new breeds should I get?

Jan 9, 2021
I have two bantam silkies. I want to get a few more chickens that lay well, go broody, and will not hurt my silkies. I know that breeds like Rhode Island Reds and Leghorns are kind of mean to the other flock members. Buff Orpingtons seem to have a more mellow, calm temperament towards other chickens and they seem to meet my qualifications. Do you have any other breeds that you suggest?

Ayam Cemanis lay smallish eggs, and they're not very productive. If you're looking for eggs, there are better breeds. As chickens go, though, their looks are striking and they're friendly.

My LF cochin is my meanest hen, and a half hearted layer but that may just be my luck. My bantam cochin cross on the other hand is pretty mellow. I've got silkies in with a super mixed flock, and I don't seem to have any issues with any hen added after them, they even stayed mid pecking order. I've got a few silkie x Hamburg crosses that lay consistently every day, and are much more mellow than full hamburgs, so depending on what you really want, there's always options.
Do you have a preference for bantams or standards? A pattern you really like?

Back
Top Bottom