What percent of your eggs have double yokes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4 the Birds, Oct 9, 2012.

1. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    We get about 9 to 12 brown eggs each day and 2 to 3 of these eggs are oversized and have double yokes. Is this percentage high or pretty common? I thought that I would take a poll to find out.

How many double yoke eggs do you get? We are getting around 25% double yoke eggs.

Specifics: 15 layers (Buff Orps and Ply Rocks) and they have a fenced-in 1 acre area to free range (field grasses and alfalfa). 2 Roosters (Ply Rock and Golden Comet). I feed Layena pellets and toss cracked corn out for them daily. They also get garden scraps when available. Large coop with large covered run and a choice of 8 nesting box locations (4 dark and 4 in a lighted area). Midwest climate.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I rarely get double yolks. They are common in new layers, but once their bodies adjust to laying, you don't get them very often.

3. litmisredneck

litmisredneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    0% so far, but my girls are just starting to lay. Over a month of laying now. I was hoping for a double yoke, but none so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by