What type of weird eggs have you gotten?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
Hi I thought it’d be fun to see all the weird eggs everyone has gotten once my buff orp laid two eggs attached without shells!!! Unfortunately I didn’t get a pic!!! I’ve got eggs without shells and double yoke ones too!

I recently found what I thought was a large egg in the nest. Looked and felt very weird. At first I thought it was a shell-less egg but it felt like a large glob of fat. It was dense and yellow. When I cut into it, it seemed to have layers. Does anyone know what this is? I am at a loss.

Attachments

• tempImageJNIkDK.png
    tempImageJNIkDK.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • tempImageJ3BGwj.png
    tempImageJ3BGwj.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
I recently found what I thought was a large egg in the nest. Looked and felt very weird. At first I thought it was a shell-less egg but it felt like a large glob of fat. It was dense and yellow. When I cut into it, it seemed to have layers. Does anyone know what this is? I am at a loss.
Sometimes small pieces of tissue travel from the ovaries down the oviduct, her body treated this as if it were a yolk. This must not have gotten expelled from the uterus or shell gland as it's also called and her body kept adding layers of what would have been the white of the egg. It spent a lot of time in the shell gland cooking. Many times this happens because she has an oviduct infection. If she continues to lay these, a 7 day round of Amoxicillin, 250 mg 3 times a day for 7 days, will clear up the infection. Use probiotics after treatment.

Sometimes small pieces of tissue travel from the ovaries down the oviduct, her body treated this as if it were a yolk. This must not have gotten expelled from the uterus or shell gland as it's also called and her body kept adding layers of what would have been the white of the egg. It spent a lot of time in the shell gland cooking. Many times this happens because she has an oviduct infection. If she continues to lay these, a 7 day round of Amoxicillin, 250 mg 3 times a day for 7 days, will clear up the infection. Use probiotics after treatment.
Thank you so much for clearing this up. This makes sense. This was from the chicken that I treated for "water belly" last October. I didn't think she would survive because she was so sick. She recovered from that after I drained the fluid. She was acting normal eating and interacting with the flock after treatment, and eventually laid some eggs that we did not eat. I will watch her and treat as you suggested if she continues. Thank you !!!!

Thank you so much for clearing this up. This makes sense. This was from the chicken that I treated for "water belly" last October. I didn't think she would survive because she was so sick. She recovered from that after I drained the fluid. She was acting normal eating and interacting with the flock after treatment, and eventually laid some eggs that we did not eat. I will watch her and treat as you suggested if she continues. Thank you !!!!
Oh poor girl. :hugs If the water belly was caused from internal laying, she could have had or has some left over infection. Just watch her, if she continues to lay strange things, I'd start her on antibiotics.

This looks like lash egg material which is infection.

Back
Top Bottom