what seasonings/extras to add to feed to make it more nutritious?

Another benefit of Cayenne pepper is that it can help keep squirrels, chipmunks, and other critters out of your feeder, since they CAN taste the spicy.
^^^ The only significant, consistent benefit of cayenne powder. Yes, the egg color is nice, but nutritionaly, there is essentially no difference. Other results largely arise from small studies whose findings are contradicted by others of similar size.

One of the largest studies I saw in use of pepper in feeds (actually a capsaicin extract) used 180 chickens - 6 cohorts of 30 birds each, and really talked up the benefits of the red pepper - but the study with feed supplimented by just red pepper wasn't substantially better than the others. The two with red pepper and olive oil are the data points the emphasized, while downplaying the olive oil... and with that, you should have no difficulty finding the study I read.

It was also a very short timeframe, as is regretfully typical.

^^^ The only significant, consistent benefit of cayenne powder. Yes, the egg color is nice, but nutritionaly, there is essentially no difference. Other results largely arise from small studies whose findings are contradicted by others of similar size.

One of the largest studies I saw in use of pepper in feeds (actually a capsaicin extract) used 180 chickens - 6 cohorts of 30 birds each, and really talked up the benefits of the red pepper - but the study with feed supplimented by just red pepper wasn't substantially better than the others. The two with red pepper and olive oil are the data points the emphasized, while downplaying the olive oil... and with that, you should have no difficulty finding the study I read.

It was also a very short timeframe, as is regretfully typical.
A difference that can be "significant" is hatchability. I might be one with qualifications to make this call.

A difference that can be "significant" is hatchability. I might be one with qualifications to make this call.
I've not seen a study linking capsaicin to increased viability. I've seen some small studies, sometimes contradicted, indicating increased egg weight identified as extra albumin. So, I'm not rejecting the possibility, but can you link what you've got?

@kanami there are many dissers around here. You may find this review article useful, published in Livestock Science in 2016:
Review: The effect of grass and herbs in organic egg production on egg fatty acid composition, egg yolk colour and sensory properties
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2016.11.001
And considering what absolute crap 90% of dog food is now I believe giving chickens real food treats is good for them. I took my sickly (small) dog off kibble and fed him real food , meat and vegetables his health improved vastly. I feed my chickens lots of real food because I only have a few and can afford to do that. Everyone’s situations are different.

I currently wonder about mushrooms and chickens. i grow Lions Mane, Red and Black Anter reishi and turkey tail. I'm less curious about the actual mushroom body as I am the mycelium as well as the tea and tinctures that i make for myself. I often wonder if these are things that may benefit the chickens.

Attachments

• IMG_6527.JPG
    IMG_6527.JPG
    646.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2167.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7348.JPG
    IMG_7348.JPG
    681 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom