What Sex are my chicks?

CFE504F2-15C1-460D-9E27-ABF356DABE4D.jpeg
Think it's the wing that gets the red feathering in Araucanas ... Not too familiar with the breed. Wait at least 2wks more :fl
Oh, thanks, I have no idea. Yes I’ll be holding onto all 6 until I hear crowing. We had to give away 2 as we are only allowed 6 where we live so I thought best to do it earlier than later. This is a photo of one of the roosters that may have fathered an egg. I’m guessing it may come out something like this.

But always wait to be sure before giving them away. I have a pullet that everyone including me thought was a cockerel at 7 weeks because she had a reddish comb and was getting red wattles. She is now 13 weeks and the comb and wattles look the same, they never got bigger, she has no cockerel feathers and she hasn't crowed. She also participates in the pecking order squabbles with the other pullets.

Your chicks are too young, especially since they have silkie in them. Silkies are slow developers, so it would be a good idea to wait a bit longer to be sure. Why don't you post pics of their combs at 8-10 weeks?
Ok thanks. I’ll repost on this tread as they keep growing.

This morning we heard a little squeaky crow! But don’t know which one yet.

It’s only been a week and 1/2 since I first posted but I have an update.

Relating to my previous photos #1 is indead a cockerel, he started making crowing noises at 4 weeks old and this week he had a very good sounding crow, 20 times one morning I counted from 5:30am! We have rehomed him as we are not allowed roosters where we live.

Unfortunately since he’s been gone we have discovered another crower, still only a little sound, this is #6. We will also have to say goodbye to him when he gets louder. He’s a sizzle.

They are only 7 weeks old and crowing so early!

Last edited:
We thought #2 was a cockerel at the beginning as came up and always pecked us, it has gotten shyer so we’re not sure now. #3 sits low and is very shy. #4 and #5 are also very shy and it was hard to get a photo of them as they just run away. #6 has always been my sons favourite and comes up to you. He has so much personality.

Back
Top Bottom