What shape of roosts do you use in your chicken coop?

What shape of roosts do you use?

• Round

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • Square

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • Square, tilted

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Rectangle

Votes: 24 12.1%
  • Rectangle, tilted

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Rectangle, flat side up

Votes: 114 57.3%

• Total voters
After reading many of these posts (and conferring with the local 115 Union of chicken rights) it appears that a 3.5” wide (2” x 4”,wide side up) roost is ideal. Since my roosts are only 1.5” (2” x 4”,narrow side up) I am debating about laying a 1”x 4” wide side up) on top of all my roosts. Thoughts?

2x4 rectangle NARROW side up.

For large/heavy birds, a wide roost can cause problems. We have very big BJG. The cockerel at 11 months old, so not fully grown yet, developed a large infected breast blister from the 2x4 roost that was wide side up. His keel bone was rubbing on the roost, causing the breast blister. I spoke with the BJG breeder and was telling him the story after the BJG was on the mend, and before I finished and told him about the roosts, he jumped in to indicate it was probably too wide of a roost. Anyway, it took daily tending and removal of puss a few timesover the course of a few weeks to get him healthier and it took another couple of months for his breast blister/extended skin tofully heal and recede.
Overall, my experience tells me to provide a more narrow roost - either 2x4 barrow side up or round branches or dowels/closet rods.

2x4 rectangle NARROW side up.

For large/heavy birds, a wide roost can cause problems. We have very big BJG. The cockerel at 11 months old, so not fully grown yet, developed a large infected breast blister from the 2x4 roost that was wide side up. His keel bone was rubbing on the roost, causing the breast blister. I spoke with the BJG breeder and was telling him the story after the BJG was on the mend, and before I finished and told him about the roosts, he jumped in to indicate it was probably too wide of a roost. Anyway, it took daily tending and removal of puss a few timesover the course of a few weeks to get him healthier and it took another couple of months for his breast blister/extended skin tofully heal and recede.
Overall, my experience tells me to provide a more narrow roost - either 2x4 barrow side up or round branches or dowels/closet rods.
Thanks for responding. My only concern is that the my chickens roost in my rafters which are quite high and I worry they might fall with the narrower roosts. However, they have roosted up there for years, so may be okay to leave it. I have found a bird or two dead on the floor under the rafters, but the deaths could have been from anything. I would think if a bird started falling, they could catch theirselves in the air with their wings.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. My only concern is that the y roost in my rafters which are quite high and I worry they might fall with the narrower roosts. However, they have roosted up there for years, so may be okay to leave it. I have found a bird or two dead on the floor under the rafters, but the deaths could have been from anything. I would think if a bird started falling, they could catch theirselves in the air with their wings.

the birds can grip the narrow roost just fine. In addition, their bodies cover their feet just fine. Sometimes birds just die, we’ve had 2 birds randomly die (no obvious illness, not old, no predator) - one fell off roost, one died mid-step in run mid-morning.

Special birds getting most love are on 1" wooden dowels. Most others penned are on 3/4" x 1.5" rectangular. Those exercising choice and having options are roosting either in trees on branches with 1/2" to just under 1" diameter where for some reason all are round in profile or on they roosting on tops of dog kennel which is round. Hens with chicks roost either on ground or sometimes and elevated flat surface before transitioning to tree or dog kennel top.

My preferences based on availability of materials, cost, and in some cases need to keep them from rolling. Most fabricated roost you can buy have same criteria used to guide design. The birds need for or preference for two x fours is bull unless bird is missing the greater part of a lot of toes.

Back
Top Bottom