what shots. do yall give yall goat

michellemire

Songster
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
I want to give my new goats there shots n I'm new to this can anybody help on what to give them n when to give it to them thanks

Can you tell me what breed, sex, and age your goats are?
Do you know if their previous owner have them anything?

CD&T dosage info is on the box, it is under $20 dollars and can vaccinate a lot of goats if you DIY. I would give the vaccine regardless of previous owners, sometimes people fib- better to be safe than sorry.

Ok, then do the CD&T now (2ml subq) and repeat it again in 4 weeks. That will cover your does and the babies for a few weeks after they are born. At 3--4 weeks the babies need a 2ml subq shot, then repeat it in 4 weeks again. You can get it at most feed stores (tsc, big r, whatever you have, it had to be refrigerated)
You need to take a fecal sample from each doe into your vet or collect and mail them into this place:http://www.midamericaagresearch.net. Then worm your does based on the results. But, some wormers can't be used during pregnancy, so double check first. They will also need wormed immediately after kidding as worms thrive when the animal is stressed, and pregnancy falls into that category.
You will also need a cocci preventative med for those babies after they get here, starting about 3 weeks in. If you want a good protocol for cocci, let me know.
You also should check this map:http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html and see if you're in a selenium deficient area. You may want to get some BO-SE from your vet to supplement with. According to the map my area is not deficient, but I still have to supplement or else I get kids born with weak legs. (They walk on their ankles or knees instead of their feet for a few days) At any rate, if you need it, you should do it within the next few weeks so your kids don't have problems.
You can look at the pneumonia vaccine, but unless your take your goats off farm for shows and such, it's not necessary.
You also need to check into your copper levels, view this map:http://mrdata.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/cu/usa.html If you are in a deficient area, or if your hay comes from a deficient area, you may need to copper bolus. If you start seeing hair discoloration or fish tails ( loss of hair on tip of tail) you definitely need to bolus.
Do your does have a good loose goat mineral out free choice?

If you have more questions, let me know. :)

K thanks I will go get there shots tomorrow from our feed store n yes they have loose mineral n there just our pets we don't show mabie when my lil boy gets older but that 6 years away

When do u shave Ur goats udder n stuff I know before they kid but when before they kid I wanna do it but not to early

I forgot to answer the "when" part in your other post. I try to do it the week of kidding, when the udder is a little bigger, but with you not knowing, you'll just have to take a guess, lol. I'd probably wait a month before I did it.

When do u shave Ur goats udder n stuff I know before they kid but when before they kid I wanna do it but not to early
if you want a chuck full of information on goats you should try backyardherds. Definitely a worth while site for any animal information. Good luck. Would love to see pics of your goats and the babies when they get here.

Back
Top Bottom