what should a soft/empty crop feel like

katharine

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
We have a sick chicken and have posted about her. Yesterday I flet her crop after giving her eyedrops of liquid and mushy stuff. I felt it soft but here were lumps. It was not like I sometimes feel, lots of small rocks. I felt one big-ish dime size, if a dime was a rectangle and also a larger softer lump, almost like a bunch og crumbles stuck together.

Today the same but she had some mucus in her mouth before I gave her anything and then a bit of clear while I was feeding her. I feed her with an eyedropper. I also feel her tummy gurgling.

thanks!

Chicken keeper often recommend removing the food and water from the enclosure over night and checking in the morning whether the crop emptied as it should. She could have an impacted crop or sour crop. Check out this link for treatment ideas:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/517234/medical-treatments-recommended-by-bycers#post_6580204

Scroll down to the section on sour crop (the use of copper sulfate is not the first treatment option I would try, considering most people don't have copper sulfate on hand. Also, I think regular vinegar can be used if you don't have apple cider vinegar, just water it down some.)

Back
Top Bottom