What should I do with this issue?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rhodeislandred1, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rhodeislandred1

rhodeislandred1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    My chickens have attracted mice. My parents want to get rid of my chickens. What should I do about this mouse problem? I dont want to let my chickens go :(

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Do you live in the city or country? IF country-get a barn cat to take care of the problems. If in the city, then you coud use sticky traps outside the coop. Do you have food down on the ground of them at all times? I have hanging feeders about 10 inches off the ground so they dont have easy access to the feeders. Hope this helps.

3. rhodeislandred1

Oct 27, 2012
    Problem is we let the chickens out everyday so i dont want them stepping on any traps or eating poison.

4. Hammerga

Hammerga Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    North Ga.
    you can get a piece of plywood and put it up on small blocks so that a regular mouse trap has room to work and chickens can not get to it.
    you may need a weight on top of plywood. so it does not move and trap the mice.

5. rhodeislandred1

Oct 27, 2012
    New mice will always come. Thats what is freaking my parents out. And they hate cats.

6. lil jerry

lil jerry New Egg

Nov 26, 2012
    Yavapai County
    Try putting traps around the coup at night and in places the chickens can't get to them.

7. KLLEETRUCKING

KLLEETRUCKING Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Utopia, S.C.
    Your chickens are not attracting mice, FOOD IS.

Clean up any food on the ground and keep your feed in a closed metal container, i.e. remove the food source.
    We wanted to feed the wild birds that hang around our deck, got WBS and just put the bag in a 5 gal. bucket in the mud room, next thing (1 week), mice in the HOUSE!
    Animals IMO are pretty much motivated by food and if they smell/see/taste, they're coming. BTW, put the WBS in a 20 gal. trashcan outside under the deck, no mo meeces.

BOL. Would hate to hear you had to rehome your girls.

8. rhodeislandred1

Oct 27, 2012
    Food...Hmm thats a good idea. I'll try. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by