What size light bulb for heat source for newly hatched chicks?

It's a good idea to set your brooder up, turn on the light, and let it run for 24 hours empty so you can get an understanding of what temperature your bulb produces in your set up and at what height. You'll need an inexpensive thermometer. Put it under the bulb at floor level, where the chicks will be if they need the maximum warmth. When your set up is reading 90-95 degrees steadily, move the thermomenter around to your cooler end to make sure there actually is a cooler end.

If you wait to check temps after you get the chicks, you could find that your set up doesn't work, you need a new bulb, etc. That can be nerve wracking to do with a batch of chilled chicks peeping loudly.

What size light bulb for heat source for newly hatched chicks?

Your question is one that I've been wondering about for a while now. (To me) the big heat lamps seem like overkill for a handful of chicks unless the brooder is in an unheated area during some cold temperatures.

Anyhow, when I saw the question I decided to do a quick brooder "mock up".

Here are the "specs" of this mock-up...

Cardboard box sitting in another cardboard box with flaps up and taped to form "walls"....roughly 18"x14" with 7" high "walls".
Light bulb is a 75W softwhite in a household lamp.
Light bulb is positioned 10 inches above floor of "brooder" where the thermometer is resting.
I realize that this is a smaller area than most brooders will be.

Here's a couple of pics...

Mock brooder setup...
25984_awning_20100515_4328_medium.jpg

Temperature reading...
25984_awning_20100515_4334_medium.jpg

Out of curiosity, I opened the flaps up basically making the "brooder" wall-less and raised the lamp to 15 inches. I'm going to let it sit for a while and see what happens. Not sure if this is information anyone can use but it's a good time killer for me.
tongue.png
lol.png

I'll post back what the open walled test shows.

Ed​

I have never had a problem with halogen bulbs. They even sell them on a page in BYC. I secure them VERY we'll and watch 3 thermometers closely throughout the day. ( 2 analog and 1 digital). I have never used them in the summer but in freezing temperatures I do. If the chicks huddle up under the light they are cold. If they roam freely they are fine and if they seek the outer edges of the light they are warm.

Back
Top Bottom