What the heck have I brought home? ***picture heavy***

Soj, thank you so much! I admit I'm quite proud of all my girls (and now my one little boy). Do you think they would be so heavy with a bantam blood line? I hadn't concidered that.

I hope I can recreate them, or at least get something sort of close. We are going to see what we can make happen this spring/summer. I have the buff orpington to breed with them.... I wonder if there is another breed I should try to cross them with too?

i like the idea of the buff. if i had to choose another chicken breed to breed with, it would probably be the barred plymoth rock. over all of the chickens that i have rased, that breed has been the best to me. to your earlier question, it would be possible to have a bantam blood in a hevy breed. my cousins had a gamecock and i gave them a plymoth rock for eggs. low and behold, she hatched out some mixed breeds of gamecock and barred plymoth rock. they couldent take care of them, so they gave the hen and the chicks to one of their friends. i havent seen them seince. but yes, it is possible for a hevy breed to have some bantam in it.

Chicken Soj

Thanks very much, PaintedHen.

Soj, thanks for the info. I would love to get my hands on some barred plymoth rocks. I picked up some rose comb dominique chicks several months back, but was told they were barred rocks.
th.gif
Those were the meanest little twits I have ever raised! (And to be perfectly honest, rose combs are so ugly to me! Look like brains oozing out of the tops of their heads!) I got rid of them asap. I have heard from other people that barred rocks can be very mellow, so I'd like to get a couple to try out. Maybe this spring....
fl.gif

Molly and Arrianne are both lovely...love their lacing on their feathers and really love their dainty little heads. I'd like to find a couple like that.:)

I haven't read everything here, so this may be a repeat. there was a young lady on here (maybe her name was cowgirl?) who had crossed a male bull orpington with barred rock hens making a sex link that looked just like these hens

Back
Top Bottom