What the heck have I brought home? ***picture heavy***

I thought of your pretty birds today, and came rushing back to byc to compare photos.
Sicilian Buttercups - not the same -shrugs-
but your 2 are so nice they certainly made a space in my memory, especially the lighter one.
love.gif

Last edited:
I thought of your pretty birds today, and came rushing back to byc to compare photos.
Sicilian Buttercups - not the same -shrugs-
but your 2 are so nice they certainly made a space in my memory, especially the lighter one.
love.gif
And I tend to gravitate to the darker one. Someone sent me a pm and told me that the dark face is called gypsy markings! I am so excited to be figuring some things out about them!

Not a bad idea..... I hate the idea of a rooster though. I loooooove sleeping in! I do have some 5 week-old chicks in the brooder right now and I for sure have at least one buff roo............

I've about decided that they probably won't lay until the spring since the days are getting shorter and the temperatures are dropping.

Unfortunately, that might happen. I did have three dark brown Leghorns that hatched in May and decided not to lay even one egg until May of the next year. I listed them for free on Craigslist and very honestly said that they'd never laid an egg. A very nice lady came to get them and said she just wanted them as companions for her rooster, since a raccoon had taken all his hens and he was sad. Lucky lady, I found a pullet egg in the crate where I'd put them the night before. She very nicely said that she wouldn't take them since they'd started to lay, but I just told her it was her lucky day and sent them off.

They really can start laying soon. I have a lot of hatchery birds and they seem to start about 21-23 weeks. If you want to keep them laying all winter (which the should since this next year will be their biggest for laying,) you can put a 40 watt bulb on a timer in their coop. Twelve hours of daylight is all they need--mine goes on at 5am and off at 5pm on the shortest days of winter.

Last edited:
I don't worry about them laying or not. The hens that I have that are laying are producing enough eggs for me and my mom, brother and sister's families. Though I REALLY want to see what color they will lay. Gosh I wish it's be blue or green!

Back
Top Bottom