What to do about my male duck

lamokagirl

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2015
I have one male and one female duck that I raised from a few days old. I have had them for over a year now. When they mate he bites on the back of her head to the point of her bleeding. I put antibiotic on the scabs every night and have started using pick no more ointment to try to get him to grab on to her less. He will grab on the side of her head near her eye and I am getting very worried that she will lose her eye if he keeps it up. I am at a loss for what to do.
Should I get another female to up my female to male ratio? Should I permanatly separate them (I know they need each other's company so I am not sure that would be a solution.) I have thought about trying to re-home him and then get her a female as a companion.
They free range when we are home and I have tried to give them things in their house and run- mirror, treat balls- things to try to occupy him.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you!

You might want get at least 2 or 3 more female ducks. If he continues you will probably have to seperate him from her because he could put her eye out. Is there anyway you can let them see each other so won't be so lonely for them. Good luck with him.

@pattyhen is right, 2 or 3 more females should help with this problem. If she needs to be separated, a pen where he can see her, be close, but not physically access her is a great idea.

Thank you for your comments and help. I have them separated so she can heal and not get any worse. He only started getting really rough with her the past few weeks. Maybe they mate more in the springtime? Last spring they were still babies.
Will my two ducks get along well with female(s) I adopt?

Back
Top Bottom