What to do for chapped combs?

KingJamesIV

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Indiana Pa
Hi all. The cold weather has a few of my chickens with badly chapped combs that are beginning to crack and bleed if they bump them against the feeder. Any advice?

Quote:
Yep. You can use blue coat first if the others are starting to peck at it. Let the blue kote dry then add the vasaline on top. Don't worry, it wont rub the blue kote off. NOTHING will rub that stuff off!
lau.gif

Quote:
sorry, I spelled that wrong. It's blue kote, or there's a different brand called blue lotion. Its a blue antiseptic dye that colors the wound. Chickens will peck at a red spot, if you color it blue....they don't peck at it.

Quote:
Blu-Kote is an effective treatment of surface wounds, abrasions, and ringworm. Antiseptic, fast drying it is highly effective against pus producing bacteria and common fungus infections. Penetrates to reduce pus formation and dry up secretions of pox-like lesions. It also helps disguise minor wounds from picking/pecking. It's normally carried at feed stores and TSC. Another type is called, "Blue Lotion." It does the same thing as Blu-Kote. Either comes in a pump spray bottle, a spray can, or a bottle with a dauber in it. If you use it, I recommend you wear disposable plastic gloves, old clothes and shoes because it'll stain and it takes a long time to wear off.

Back
Top Bottom