• Put her with the big girls

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Get her a buddy and keep them closer to the house

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Make her a house duck

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters
Pics
She's just too lovely for a goofy name. Hafta go with pretty.

However, she appears to have the early signs of niacin deficiency and angel wing. I can fix those, though.
The lady I got my ducks from said that she gave her ducks the all flock and didn’t give them the extra niacin. She treated their angel wing by wrapping it and cutting back on the protein they were getting and the ducks do better. The ones I had luckily didn’t have angel wing but I gave them the extra niacin anyway. The babies though I couldn’t tell because their wings were still itty bitty. But it confuses me because I have read that the protein can cause it also. So how do you know what to do and which is causing it?

You for sure hit the pretty name right on the head! It is beautiful!

That is a bummer she has angel wing and niacin deficiency. Hard to imagine in a call duck.

But it confuses me because I have read that the protein can cause it also
I have been reading a lot into this lately. I have been really curious about it. Everything I have found it is primarily genetic or nutrient deficiencies. All the high protein is looking at 32-28% protein levels. They were feeding turkey or game bird feed. Metzer's site even says now that you should feed 22% to ducks for the first few weeks. If you only have 20% to stay on it longer. So when people say high protein they really need to ask what percentage first.

You may want to try rooster booster poultry cell too. It has a lot of mixes of vitamins and minerals. I have seen a lot of good things form recommending it.

That is a bummer she has angel wing and niacin deficiency. Hard to imagine in a call duck.

I have been reading a lot into this lately. I have been really curious about it. Everything I have found it is primarily genetic or nutrient deficiencies. All the high protein is looking at 32-28% protein levels. They were feeding turkey or game bird feed. Metzer's site even says now that you should feed 22% to ducks for the first few weeks. If you only have 20% to stay on it longer. So when people say high protein they really need to ask what percentage first.

You may want to try rooster booster poultry cell too. It has a lot of mixes of vitamins and minerals. I have seen a lot of good things form recommending it.
I haven’t been able to find rooster booster here. I was looking for it for the future of the rooster I have. Does it have the niacin it needs? I would love to have duck feed for when I get the new ones but I haven’t had luck finding that either. I do have a tractor supply about 40 min from me but they don’t even carry it.

I was feeding the ducklings I had the all flock that was like 22% and then the ones that were older had 18% all flock. And then I would put the yeast on top of their food.

I haven’t been able to find rooster booster here. I was looking for it for the future of the rooster I have. Does it have the niacin it needs? I would love to have duck feed for when I get the new ones but I haven’t had luck finding that either. I do have a tractor supply about 40 min from me but they don’t even carry it.

I was feeding the ducklings I had the all flock that was like 22% and then the ones that were older had 18% all flock. And then I would put the yeast on top of their food.
It does have niacin in it, but no where near the amounts of the high vitamin b complex. The extra nutrients can help with other potential deficiencies. If it is deficient in one vitamin, it may be in others as well. They sell it at TSC, but for a while I was finding it difficult to find on the shelves. You may just have to order it online.

Cheddar had angel wing, too, but only ever so slightly. This girl has a much more pronounced case. My Swedish had it, too. Both previous cases were easily fixed by wrapping the wing, so I'll do that to this girl, too. But not until tomorrow. There is so much going on for her. She's settling in now, though.

I have Poultry Cell, but I don't see niacin or B3 listed on it. I was surprised about the niacin deficiency, too. Maybe that's not what's going on, but her symptoms mirror what I saw in a other duckie. Lots of sitting. Unsteady on her feet.

As a side note, I'm wondering about naming her Mimosa since she is a similar color to the flowers on one of my Mimosa trees. I've never had such a hard time deciding on a name.
😂

Cute name, but a tad on the normal side. Hubby wanted Biscuit, but there are a gazillion Buscuits out there. He's also responsible for naming Peanut. Smh.

So far, she's still Eclair, but I'm not sold on it. I also like Merlot, but hubs says it sounds snooty
Names for me are always so hard. We just finally named 6 of our newest ducks. I still have to the name two call ducks. There are a lot of names I like, but they have to fit the duck. One of my ducks I wanted to name Tiana and my husband was like...no.... Weeks later, I go how about Tina. He goes or Tiana. 🙄 The name I wanted initially. Sometimes it takes a while for them to come around.

Cute name, but a tad on the normal side. Hubby wanted Biscuit, but there are a gazillion Buscuits out there. He's also responsible for naming Peanut. Smh.

So far, she's still Eclair, but I'm not sold on it. I also like Merlot, but hubs says it sounds snooty
Rosé. It stays within the wine and cheese, and it reflects her colour. :)

Plus, Baby Duck wine is a rosé! :lau

Back
Top Bottom