What to do with hen who is bullying smaller chickens?

eggswithlegs11

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I recently lost a very small chook (probably the runt of the group) and I wasn't entirely sure what had occurred, but now I think that one of my hens who has become quite a bully may have been responsible in this and I had noticed her attacking the runt. Today, I noticed that another smaller chook was acting a little more withdrawn, then when I let the bully hen into the yard, she rushed this poor chook and attacked her. I've isolated the bully hen as I don't want to have another chicken die due to bullying. My main question is, why would this be occurring? It feels fairly recent, and also I am not sure how long I should isolate the bully - I still want her to be comfortable.
Thank you for any advice!

How many birds do you have and what are their ages? How long have these birds been together (raised together, added at various points?) What are you feeding? Any photos of the coop and run?

It might just be a pecking order thing and she is just a bully. When you say little chicken, what is the size difference? What breeds are we talking about?
It could also be a health problem. Chickens don't like to show that they are felling sick. It's because the others take advantage and start pecking them. I guess it's a flock protection to keep the sick away. But they can also tell a lot earlier than us that something is going on with the other chicken. You say yourself that the second chicken was looking a little more withdrawn. Maybe you should check that chicken out.

There are 9 chickens in the flock, and the one that has been bullying was introduced a year ago, and the one she has been bullying was raised from a chick 2 years ago. I suspect you may be right saying that the chicken was aware of sickness, as I had earlier suspected the chook that died may have had fowl pox because of their comb. Do you know if it is usual for chooks to act that way with fowl pox? And what do you suggest my next steps should be? Thank you all so much for you comments!

I am sorry, I do not have any experience with fowl pox. But your chicken probably realized that the other chicken was not well.
But I would seperate them. Keep the sick one in a cage or something like that and treat her. I have read that you can treat fowl pox but don't recall what to do. I think antibiotics were used.

Do you know if it is usual for chooks to act that way with fowl pox?
Not likely.....unless it is wet pox and target bird id very ill.

And what do you suggest my next steps should be?
Answer these questions from @rosemarythyme
What are you feeding? Any photos of the coop and run?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Dimensions and pics of coops and run.

Would also help to know .....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1604142595326.png

Bully goes in time out for up to a week. Do you have another housing option where the chickens can't see each other?
You want the bully to be the new bird when reintroduced.

Thank you all so much for your advice! We currently feed them a grain mix specifically for chickens from a local produce store, and with their living arrangements, they have a general coop that is about 15m long and 5m wide (this is an estimate as I do not know the actual measurements), and a hutch to go in at night, however, they are let out of the coop whenever they like and are allowed to freely roam our yard, which is quite large. I am currently keeping the bully chook in its own cage in another part of the yard, but she is also allowed to roam freely during the day, and a fence stops her from getting into the other part of the yard where the chickens mainly roam. As for climate, I live in Australia, so it is quite warm right now, and there have been recent storms. Thanks again, and I hope this new information helps you all!

Back
Top Bottom