what to feed a 3 yo hen after impacted crop surgery

embrown

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
We have a 3-yo Barred rock hen. We recently found her in the nesting box at night and when we went to remove her found her quite boney. We brought her inside for a few days messaged her crop which was about walnut sized and like puddy., gave her mineral oil, yogurt, egg, apple sauce, etc. She continued to pooh very watery stuff and the crop did not reduce in size even after withholding food over night. She was unchanged after a few days. So, We decided to do the crop surgery, we have done it before with much success. So, now it is the next morning. We have given her yogurt, some very small bread crumbs, and of-course water. What else should I feed her, I just cannot remember and can't find my notes. I know we need to go slowly, and not give her chicken food foor a few days, but what else should I give her. What will help her gain strength...she is quite weak? What can I give her to promote heeling and strength? She is still in the house in a nice cage so we can attend to her. Her pooh is starting to look normal, but she is wobbley on her feet and her face looks a bit pale. BTW, her , crop was full of straw. We now need to find a new nesting material, this is the third hen who had this problem and was found to be full of straw, so any suggestions on nest box material would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom